Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Lack of mood and irregular periods

Almost perfectly timed at the end of the 2008-2009 school year, I've noticed a change in my moods. That is, I've felt next to no emotion for the past 6 months, which I attributed to just the seasons. For the few months before then, I was a tad overemotional. I attributed this to just teenage hormones, or seasonal changes, and being in love. I don't know if there's anything abnormal about it.

Right now though, I'm experiencing:
*Lack of emotions or moods changes, whatsoever (completely the opposite of whats expected of teens)
*Pressure behind my eyes, as if they're bulging (new development)
*Rapid heart rate at seemingly random occasions.
*Thin hands and feet
*Enlarged, visible veins
*A quick ache when running or exercising, or even standing. I'll move and notice my ankle hurts.
*When I raise my shoulders and twist from side to side, I can hear a noise as if my spine is grinding against itself
*Darkening under the eyes
*Irregular periods. One came about a week early, the next was very light.

I used to experience a huge amount of fatigue when I woke up, but thats gone now. Now, I instead experience no fatigue, replaced instead with just a general feeling of malaise. Previously, my periods were rather heavy.

It's confusing, as I could just not be eating right, or that I'm lacking sleep. The thing is though, my entire family has developed bags under our eyes and thing hands and feet. I'm unsure which symptom belongs to an individual ailment, or some factor in the air I breath and water I drink, or just plain genetics, or multiple ailments. Perhaps i'm paranoid and just shocked by the contrast from how I feel now, and how I felt last spring - I doubt it though.

I've been scavenging the web, and as far as I've seen, an endocrine disorder is my best bet.

I feel a tad ill. Help Question
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You should go see your doctor and get your hormones checked out. It could be a thyroid issue or something like that. It could also be Seasonal Affective Disorder. In that case, light therapy will help a lot. Don't try to diagnose yourself, just go see your doctor.

Write down all your symptoms, how long you've had them, what (if anything) makes them better or worse, and how severe they are. If the rest of your family has some of these symptoms, bring that up, as well. Also, write down any questions you have for the doctor. Take this list to your appointment.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
I would suggest you to have thyroid function tests and serum cortisol to rule out endocrine disorders. If these investigations were normal then consult psychiatrist to evaluate you for somatoform disorder.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.