Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Lack of feelings, apathy...

From 3 weeks I don't feel emotions and feelings. Does anyone overcome this kind of state?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 20th, 2015
Experienced User
You just bored. Try to do something
|

replied April 20th, 2015
I am not bored. It's apathy.
|

replied May 11th, 2015
I was apathetic when I was depressed over a year ago. I take it as your brain's way of saying "I need some time to heal, please listen to me and let me do my work by just being apathetic".

Apathy is one state of depression and while you are depressed, there is always some type of inflammation going on in your brain. So being apathetic actually helps your brain to heal, although it's very frustrating to just slouch on a sofa, for instance just watching TV as I did.

Being depressed also means that you want more from your life than your inner self allows you to have. The feelings of frustration, unworthiness, self blame and "why does this happen to me", "what have I done to deserve this" and "will I ever get better?" type of thoughts may be with you on a daily basis. I personally know I had such constantly nagging thoughts and feelings at that time and the worst part with those is that they always make your situation only worse.

The answer to "what have I done to deserve this" is that you have done nothing else wrong than neglecting yourself for probably for a long time. You are the most valuable thing to yourself, but if you have learnt to hate yourself as I had, you may have been acting in a way that is very destructive towards yourself. I promise, you deserve more because you are just as valuable as every other human being on this planet.

You should consult a doctor for your thyroid and get many basic level examinations done. If the doctor finds you depressed, you may benefit from a few months dose of SSRI/SNRI-medication. And if you can talk with your good friend about your values and what you want to achieve with your life, that's great.

Even better if you are able to find a good therapist you feel comfortable to talk with, she/he will help you with starting your next career of starting to appreciate yourself and building your confidence for your future. You deserve to live life you want, according to your _own_ values, not what you think your values are. You start the healing process only as quickly as you understand the reasons why you are putting yourself down. Those reasons may occasionally be strange to outsiders but true to your well being and totally necessary for you to protect your inner self from too much hurt.

Sincerely good luck with your journey, it is going to be very rough but it will also be worth it.
|

replied May 12th, 2015
If there’s such a thing as a “belly-up” emotion, apathy fits the bill.

Apathy is actually defined as the absence of emotion.

It’s white noise. Dead air. You feel like a chunk of flavorless tofu. Not happy. Not sad. Not angry. And certainly not passionate.

You’ve probably heard people say they knew they were out of love when they no longer got angry. The relationship had flat-lined, love had dissappeared, and it wasn’t worth the effort of anger anymore.

But what if life begins to feel that way?

What if everything you thought would ring your bell stares back at you with dead shark eyes?

What if all of those goals and habits you were going to achieve start to dissolve in importance and float away in the sea of your apathy?

Apathy is not an emotion to disregard. If you feel apathetic and have one ounce of up-and-at-em left in your antediluvian brain (that small piece that still compels you to stand staring blankly into the fridge looking for food) then use it to snap out of apathy.

Apathy is often the precursor to a full-blown depression. As life starts to feel boring and empty, your psyche might decide to jazz things up a bit by sending you spiraling into a dark hole. If you don’t know the signs of depression, get familiar with them and get treatment if you notice them.

Before depression really slams you, you may find your feet sinking in the quicksand of apathy. Apathy comes on slowly. You progressively feel less and less engaged and excited about life until one morning you think,”If I have to get up and do this same thing again today I’m going to chew my foot off.” A one-footed pessimist is not an attractive thing.
|
Tags: Depression
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....