Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Knot in baby's chest

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
User Profile
My friend has a 2 month old infant who constantly squirms and cries (constantly) - she even squirms in her sleep. Her dr. says she has colic. When I was letting her lay face up on my chest and rubbing her stomach and chest I could feel a "knot" when she would strain or cry. It feels about the size of a grape with the texture (hardness) of a boil or rising. It moves around so it doesn't feel like a bone and it's located slightly to the left of center and about 1 inch below the breast area. Her Mom says that she assumes it is part of her sternum - is it likely that it is or could it be something that is contributing to the excessive movement and crying because of pain?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2009
Infants Answer A7694
You want to know whether the reason for excessive movement and crying that your baby is experiencing pain.

Crying and squirming usually appear when a baby is hungry, need its diapers changed and when something hurts him/her. The cause of the pain usually comes from the abdomen, the throat or the ears.

According to the symptoms you described, squirming, crying and the “knot”, it doesn’t seem that the “knot” is the cause of crying and excessive movement. The “knot” may be a part of the child's sternum or rib.

You might consider seeing a doctor (pediatrician) for further diagnosis of the squirming and the crying. You may request a blood sample to rule out any infection, for example. Please keep in mind that I am not able to diagnose any medical condition online. Please contact a doctor or other healthcare provider such as a pediatrician for further diagnosis and medical treatment.
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infants , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.