Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

Knee Placement? the rod shifted...

On Dec 8 2015 i was involed in a bad car wreak. Though i was not unconscience i do not remember many deatails of anything untill Dec, 25. Right femur was broken in two spots towards the high end and left femur was poking out of the skin and 4 inches of it by knee was compressed and replaced with cement. Right leg had a rod inserted into the middle of femur to hold bone for healing and left leg had a metal plate nailed to the outside. Also pettalla tendon repair on left knee. Due too other onjuries to my stomach causing liver and kidney issues and blood clots going to my lungs from my calves, I did not start PT untill Jan. Jan 22ed I went in for some Xrays hoping to obtain a higher weight bearing status for my left leg as it was only touch down at the time. The Xrays, unfortunatly, showed the rod in the right leg had shifted down and the bolts were in my knee joint limiting my range of motion. The doc set up surgery for the next morning and removed the rod replacing it with a plate nailed to the side. Big set back. I did 1 more week at the rehab hostpital focusing on transfers and went home Feb 6th 2016 for the first time. I did not do home health but went straight to out patient and after 3 weeks they had me walking on a zero G treadmill at 20% body weight. The weight could not be increased due to the left leg not being repaired yet. By March I was doing short distances with a walker but still only had 90 to 95 in both knees. On March 21st 2016 I had a vascular bone graft preformed on left leg. They removed part of the smaller bone in lower leg and hooked it up to the femur with blood vessels and all. April 6th 2016, I am making long distances with my walker but still feel too unbalanced for crutches. And I am still only getting 95 out of right knee. Slightly less on left knee due to swelling still from surgery. I am now up to 50% body weight on my left leg and 95 and 105 on right leg and it can hold 100% body weight.
I appollogizefor the long intro but my my Doc anf PT say that 105-110 will be fine for my life style! Thats hogwash. I will never be adle to go back to work with my trade with flexability limited that severly and i have 3 kids under 10 and 14 acers to up keep. Will having knee replacement surgury help me to regain more flexibility and when should i start being serioud about having it performed. I dont want to jump the gun if it wilk be ppissibl to gain the flextion i need without surgery.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 29th, 2016
To make ot more clear i mean 105 degrees to 110 degrees in my knees is not enough for my life style.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply