Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

knee pain when walking. It's a spike in pain and...

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I have knee pain when walking. It's a spike in pain and only lasts a few moments as I stop walking and walk slowly after the pain hits. The pain is on the outside of the knee, above the knee cap. Its been happening once or twice a day. I have a very sedentary lifestyle though I am not very overweight. Any ideas? I don't think its LTBS
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2012
Especially eHealthy

Iliotibial band syndrome usually causes discomfort on the lateral aspect of the knee, at or below the joint line. It is usually a problem of the ITB snapping over the lateral condyle of the femur or it becoming a tendonitis as it inserts into the tibial plateau, just below the joint line.

However, sometimes, it does cause pain just above the flare of the distal femur.

You would note pain as the knee joint has flexed and extended, as the tendon passed over the lateral femoral condyle, the so called Nobel’s test. There would also be an increase in pain, when the ITB was stretched, such as with the Ober maneuver.

However, there are other things that can cause lateral knee pain.

If the pain gets worse with activity, and better with rest, it could be the beginnings of degenerative joint disease (DJD, or osteoarthritis).

But, without an examination, it is difficult to tell exactly what is causing the discomfort.

If it continues to bother you, despite the usual home remedies (ice/heat, neoprene knee sleeve, quad strengthening, hamstring stretching, NSAIDs if you can take them), then you should see an orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation and possibly some screening x-rays.

Good luck.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied March 7th, 2012
Thanks Gaelic!
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply