Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

knee pain and swelling, is this arthrits

Im 19 and was an athlete throughout highschool. I played a variety of sports my major ones were xcountry and soccer. i believe this is were my knee problems have come from i have not yet had a diagnosis. It's essential for me to continue being active because of other conditions i have, but everytime i exercise my knees swell and become red and feel really tight like someone is compressing them from the inside. they are also very tender to touch, and extremely painful to move my legs afterwards. My skin is still in a very normal condition. Swelling sometimes doesnt go away for a day or two. Could this be arthritis? or maybe a bursae or IT band problem? suggestions pls?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi asheevasl: My suggestion would be to rest your knees...Take it easy...Could be arthritis or a problem inside...When they swell up it is a sign that they are hurting...When you touch the area and it is hot it means to take it easy...You may want to see an Orthopedist to get his/her thoughts on this...I have lived with a lifetime of bad knees so take care of them...Even though they can be replaced, they are never like the originals...Take care...

Caroline
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....