Medical Questions > Parenting > Preschool Kids Forum

knee cap on 3 yr old is enlarged and painful

User Profile
"My nephew, about 3 years old, has an enlarged left knee cap. His left knee bone (cap) is bigger than the right and he can't stretch his legs straight. Sometimes he complains pain and does not want to walk on his own. He crawls when he feels the pain. As far as we know, he didn't have any injury. Please advise.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2011
Preschool Kids Answer A25523
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out.

your nephew needs urgent and through evaluation from an orthopedician. One possibility for his symptoms can be osgood schlatter disease in which there is tender, swollen bump just under their knee cap on the tibial tuberosity. Although usually just on one knee, both knees can also be affected. This bump can appear as enlarged knee cap.

It can cause pain during certain activities, such as running, kneeling, jumping etc. He needs to get an x-ray and MRI knees done. Moreover other causes also need to be ruled out.

Treatment includes nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, rest, putting ice on the area, knee braces and knee immobilizer.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: preschool, bone
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Preschool Kids , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.