User Profile
I have a kitten with leukemia. He is only 6 mo. of age. I am so scared of losing him! Any one have tips to help him? They say he is not in pain nor does he show pain he is actually playful. But It sad..

rainbow
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Im sorry to hear that. I dont know what to do in that case. but i hope that he overcomes it
|

User Profile
replied August 3rd, 2008
Supporter
Me too he is my life right now..
|

User Profile
replied August 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i know how you feel--my little dog is my life--i dont k now what id do with out him
|

replied September 14th, 2008
Experienced User
When I grewq up my mother had many cats, and still does. Some would get sick or badly beaten in cat fights. I have seen many cats die in different ways. I would have to say the saddest way to see a cat go is by leukemia. we watched 4 slowly suffer and die with this dreadfull disese. It is not a pretty sight. It may take time to start seeing symptoms. You may see the head tilt more to one side, a stammered walk or even trouble getting up. No matter how it becomes evident the outcome is the the same. Eventually they will start to just lay there. Sleep all the time. Not really interact with human or cat. Struggle to get to the cat bowl. Eventualy you are bringing the bowl to them. The become weak. You can feel there muscles flopping like a newborn baby when you hold them. One morning you wake up and it all done.

Like I said it is a very slow process from first signs of trouble. Can take months. Two of ours actually took a little over a year. The whole time, you can see the little kitty is sick. The bad news is there is no cure. I am sure the vet made thier recomendation and you said no way. Believe me this is something you do not want to witness. Go to another vet for the same test to ensure your cat has this before you take the recommended step. It will not be easy to do but from what I have seen it is far better than letting the disease progress.

I'm sorry to put it to you like this but I could not think of a kinder way.

Best of luck
-Del
|

replied September 19th, 2008
Experienced User
Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your kitten. Feline leukemia can spread to other cats through bodily fluids, so make sure he isn't around any other kitties. Most kittens don't survive past 1 year of age. Sometimes a cat will live a long life. Supportive care is the best thing you can do for him until its time to let him go.

I work at a humane society as a veterinary technician, and we test most cats for feline leukemia, and we have to euthanize them if they are positive to prevent this disease from spreading.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, I am here if you ever need to talk.
|

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2008
Supporter
First of all I am telling you all right now I am not killing my cat. So although your post was appreciated mr_del I don't like how you told me I have to take the step because if your mom came down with leukemia you wouldn't be like that's it just kill her. October 31. Will be my kittens 1yr birthday. And he is still striving. He is a happy playful little kitten. No I will not make it suffer if he gets to bad, but I am not going to kill my animal just because it has something wrong with it. That is not me. I treat my cat as if it was my kid. It is as spoiled as hell because he is different then myother cats. Oh and so you know penpen my other cats get vaccinated once a year so it cannot be passed around. Just putting that in there.

But like I said my kitten is happy and healthy. Yes, sometimes he gets sick and is under the weather, but that just makes him more special. He is my life.
|

replied September 22nd, 2008
Experienced User
I'm glad that he is doing well. I'm glad that you are being a responsible pet owner by vaccinating your other cats. There are many people out there that allow their pets to live in terrible conditions. Your kitten is lucky that he is living to see his 1 year birthday! I've seen many kittens die before they are old enough to leave their mother because of this disease. Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2008
Supporter
Thanks you. He is still doing good. one month he will be a year old <3
|

replied January 26th, 2009
kitten with FLV
I just read your story and hope your kitten is still doing okay at this time. I want to share with you my experiences with having FLV kittens so that you hear some positive words... Nearly three years ago, we took in a stray cat who, two weeks later, had 5 kittens. Everyone looked healthy, but when we brought them to the vet at 8 weeks, we found out that all of them had FLV (the mom transmitted it to them in utero). One of the female kittens, Lucy, had a very difficult time at 4 months, and again at one year, with some very scary moments, but she survived. She's still with us today - she's a little trooper. During this time, I did a lot of research about FLV and found two herbal treatments - 4Life Transfer Factor Plus and Standard Process Feline Immune System Support- which I've been giving to all of the cats for nearly two years. The two males thrived to 13 pounds each, but developed anemia (the viruse became active in their bone marrow and they weren't able to produce red blood cells). They became very ill very quickly - it was just a few days that they presented symptoms. We had to put them down, but it was the right thing to do. One was over one year old, the other was nearly two years old. At this time, we have the mom, her 3 girls, and an unrelated male from our neighborhood who also has FLV. They live in a separate building on our property and enjoy their time with each other. The eat really good food (better than our other cats, get herbal treatments, and have lots of indoor space to play). I believe the herbal treatments have helped them stay healthy - I haven't brought them to the vet in over a year (they no longer get vaccinations since they are indoors only). Caring for a family of FLV kittens/cats has been one of the hardest things I've done as a pet lover, but I wouldn't do it any other way. The whole experience has taught me to enjoy and cherish each day I have with them. I've learned to take one day at a time, but I hope that "kittens" will make it to 3 years old (another tougth milestone). I hope my story gives you some hope for your little one.
|

replied March 27th, 2009
I wanted to comment on this post. First I have to say I am very sorry to hear that your cat has FELV. When they are that young when diagnosed, it is normally wise to get a second test done when they are older. I do have to strongly advise you if you have other cats. FeLV can be passed to your other cats. It is not air born, but it can be passed through bites, grooming, and sharing water and food bowls and litter pans. Even mosquitoes and fleas can pass it to your other animals after biting the infected one. So it would be in your best interests if you have other pets to keep them separated. And once you no longer have the FeLV postive kitty, you will need to destroy all of its food and water bowls, bedding, grooming materials, and thoroughly clean your house. Its a rule of thumb to not bring any new pets or other pets around until after 30 days of cleaning everything. I know this is a touchy subject.... I've lost a many babies to FeLV... so I completely understand how you feel. There are a lot of things to consider. Most vets won't recommend keeping a FeLV positive cat unless your other cats are positive as well for risk of exposing the other healthy cats.

I am a former technician and animal behavorists for my local humane society of 6 plus years. I have dealt with many FeLV (feline leukemia) and FIV (feline immunodeficiency) as well as FIP. I hope everything is ok. But you should keep your other cats (if you have any) vaccinated against FeLV. There is no cure and the vaccine does not guarantee prevention, but that is better than nothing.
|
Tags: Leukemia
Quick Reply
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...