My mother is being investigated for kidney tuberculosis. I understand that this in itself is not infectious but that there is likely to have been a primary lesion in the lungs. I am on Methotrexate for Rheumatoid Arthritis and because of lowered immune status, I am interested to know if it is sensible to visit at present?. I know that this may sound very selfish but would like to be certain.
Thank you meantime
kittyamo
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Kidney tuberculosis is not infectious, but, as you've been told already, tuberculosis of the lung can be present at the same time with tuberculosis of kidney.
If the lung lesions were confirmed (chest x-ray, sputum analysis), she is infectious for her environment cause the tuberculosis bacillus (germ) is transmitted only through air (not through urine).

To become infected, a person usually has to have frequent exposure to someone with active TB. For example, spending several hours a day with a person with active TB would put you at risk of infection.

Weak immune system, is the most important risk factor for TB infection and TB disease.

Does she take therapy for tuberculosis?
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Only in 50% cases there is evidence of primary lung disease. I would suggest CT KUB and ultrasound guided biopsy of suspected lesion.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Tuberculosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.