Hello all,

I'll recap what I just input into the "ask a doctor" form. I had a kidney stones episode several years ago, which (probably pretty typical I suspect) wasn't treated until the "waking your wife up at 4 in the morning to go to the ER" stage. So, I guess I have a pretty good handle on the whole "arc" of the problem. Well, I think it's happening a 2nd time now, unfortunately. My question is, is there any point in going in to my doctor at this early stage, or, do I have to just let it get on to the "oh boy, give me the Vicoden NOW please" stage for practical purposes? Thanks--

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2011
Hello, and thank you for your medical question on e Health Forum.

Pain that originates due to renal issues (Stones, infection) is episodic , spasmodic or colicky in nature, originating in the flank and radiating to the lower belly, inner thigh or the testicles. It is associated with other symptoms like nausea, vomiting and systemic features due to any infection.

The course of action in your case, depends on the severity of the pain if tolerable or not, is the pain responsive to OIC or prescription painkillers.

If it is tolerable and does subside within hours you can wait it out.

If the pain is severe, and progressively worsens or abnormal symptoms like bleeding in urine, fever, present , you may need early medical attention for prevention of complications.

You might consider consulting a Urologist for a physical examination and additional evaluation to know the exact cause.

I hope you find this information useful.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.