Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Kidney referral for suspected hydronephrosis

I had an ultrasound done recently had showed dilation of my kidneys due to an urinary obstruction. Does this mean that I should be referred to a nephrologist or a urologist?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum.

From the history provided, since the condition (Hydronephrosis) has occurred due to obstruction of the urinary tract, this is a surgical lesion.

Hence you will benefit by consultation with a urologist for further evaluation and treatment.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.