Last month I had a bladder infection, and was prescribed antibiotics. They weren't working and the infection spread into my kidneys and I went to the hospital with severe pain in my lower back/stomach, as well as a fever.

They placed me on different antibiotics and sent me home when it looked like I was actually responding to them. I was on them for 10 days and then after that I felt normal again.
Though its been a few weeks, I've begun to feel this sharp stab/throb of pain in my back (lower right side) I thought maybe it was my period on its way..so Ive waited another week...and its still there and there's no period (which can be normal for me not to have one regularly.)
If I sit down for an extended period of time I start getting that sharp pain, or if I drink alcohol/eat sweet things its there, and I do not have diabetes or anything.
I was wondering if this could related to the kidney infection? I'm scared my kidney didn't recover fully from the infection..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 12th, 2008
Supporter
It could potentially be another infection. What type of antibiotics were they? Did you finish them off? Do you have a fever at all?
|

replied November 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Did they check you for kidney stones?
|

replied November 13th, 2008
I cant remember the type of antibiotics I took and yes I finished all of them and was fine for a little while afterward until the pain started up again.
And no they didn't check for kidney stones.
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2008
Supporter
The sharp stabbing type pain in the back is an all too familiar feeling. I 'd suggest you ask your doctor if its possible you have a kidney stone. Passing a stone could feel this way.
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Its related to your urinary tract infection.
I would suggest you urinalysis and urine
culture/ sensitivity.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.