Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Kidney failure - Supra Pubic Catheter - Really bad pain

Just last year I was diagnosed with Kidney failure, this unfortunately was bound to happen from a young age as I wasn't born with bladder muscles so I was unable to empty my bladder which would result in the urine being forced back into the kidneys. I was given 2 option, one of which was to self catheterize, which I was unable to do as inserting a cath through the urethra would result in really bad pain and non-stop bleeding. The second option was a Supra Pubic Cath. I opted for this, and my Urologist supported my decision and told me of the benefits of the cath (reduce strain on the kidneys which would stop them from failing).

Well now, a year later, my kidneys haven't stopped failing, they're just failing slowly, but the reason for me posting here today isn't about that, it's about the pain I'm experiencing. Since having the catheter installed(??), I've been in a lot of pain, my bladder feels like there are needles inside and I'm unable to move without it kicking in. I can't even sneeze or cough without holding my stomach in pain. I've been to the GP and after numerous blood tests and Ultrasounds, they've been unable to help me.

I'm hoping someone has some insight on this as I've been to the GP and for scans and such without ever learning why this is happening.

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2014
Welcome to e health forum.

Percutaneous suprapubic urinary bladder catheterization is a commonly performed procedure to relieve urinary retention in patients having bladder obstruction disorders.

Some complications due to this procedure include spasm (bladder and urethral cramps), infections, bleeding and catheter blockages.

In case, you are experiencing severe pain, you could be prescribed anti-spasmodic agents to control the pain. In case they do not help, your urologist should be consulted to check for need to replace the catheter or for any alternative solutions.

Prescription of antidepressents can also help in controlling the pain in some cases.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.