Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Keeping Your Child Safe in the Car

My wife and I get a little nervous each time we have to drive our son Trevor anywhere, because we know there are lots of bad drivers out there and anything can happen on the road. We are looking for any tips and tricks that your family uses to keep your children safe while on the road. Here are a few tips that I have found that you may find useful:

1. If a safety belt does not fit the child correctly, a booster set should be used to correctly position the lap and shoulder belts once they outgrow forward facing child safety seats (generally at about 40 pounds and 4 years old)
2. Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and under 4'9" in height should ride in a booster seat
3. Infants must ride rear-facing until they are at least one year old and weigh 20 pounds or more
4. Rear-facing, the infant should be semi-upright at an angle or no more than 45 degrees
5. A forward-facing older child should ride sitting upright
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Tags: parenting
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....