Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vegetarian Diet Forum

Keeping weight on as a Vegetarian

User Profile
Now that I'm free to cook and eat whatever I want, I was hoping I could get some tips on eating a little healthier. The problem is, I have a horrible time keeping on weight. This will undoubtedly change when I fix my diet a little more, but I'm not really sure where to start in terms of becoming a vegetarian and making sure I still get everything I need. I work out often so I need ideas for big and easy to make meals for after practices.

Does anyone have any advice on a vegetarian diet for an athlete?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 23rd, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
How vegetarian do you want to go? You would need some kind of replacement protein that you normally find in meat. Would you eat fish, or eggs? How about beans, legumes and lentils? I think soy has a lot of protein in it. I am not a big vegetarian, but I think those are a few options. Sorry I am not much help.
How about this link
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vegetaria n-diet/HQ01596
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I take a daily vitamin that contains all the essentials, especially iron. i have had low iron since before i was a vegetatrian so now i have to watch that evenmore closely.

what type were you trying to become? I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian, so i still eat dairy and eggs, which i think helps me get more nutrients
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2008
Supporter
Nuts, nuts, nuts. They are high in protein, zero hormones and cholesterol, and they will help keep your weight up. What type of athlete are you - strength or endurance?
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks everyone!

I'm probably going to become a semi vegetarian, just because I don't think its realistic for me to completely give up meat and I'd like to pick something I could actually stick to right now. I'm just going to ease my way into this.

I'm a swimmer, but training involves stregnth and endurance.

Just curious, how many meals a day does a healthy vegetarian eat? How big are the meals? How often do you snack? Is someone by chance comfortable explaining what they eat during a typical day?
|

replied June 7th, 2008
Experienced User
Why do you want to give up meat? If you should, you will need to take a B-12 vitamin so that your B-12 will maintain at a healthy level. I would not think that giving up meat would keep weight off. There are a lot of carbs in pasta, some vegetables and fruits.
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I have a hard time keeping weight on, so the fact that I'm not giving up large amounts of carbs doesn't really bother me. I've also noticed a common addition to fruits and veggies is daily vitamins, and you really don't need that much B12 anyways.

As far as I know, people become vegetarian for all around better health (like less risk for heart disease). For many, losing weight when giving up meat is just a pleasant byproduct of becoming healthy all around.
|

replied June 7th, 2008
Experienced User
The only reason I was asking is because I started having less energy and just not feeling well, and my blood work came back B12 deficient. The doctor asked me if I was a vegetarian, and I told her no. She told me I needed to take a sublingual B12 each day and that I should be feeling better and have more energy. Yes, red meat is not exactly heart healthy. I take fish oil supplements as well which is good for your heart healthwise. Bread is what I always have to cut back on if I want to lose weight. Good luck with the diet.
|

replied October 28th, 2008
Eating fish is not vegetarian. It drives me crazy when people suggest fish.
Anyways nuts!! I went nut crazy when i gave up flesh and gained about 5 pounds. My fav treat is cashew hummus! You will find you will become more creative with food, cooking has become a more enjoyable expirence for me.
|

replied October 28th, 2008
Your correct becoming deficient in Vit b 12 is very rare. Your body can hold onto it for up to three years! Be more concerned with getting your iron.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
hey
im a vegetarian too...I only eat veggies.... lots a beans and a ofcourse tofuu.... and it realli helps u stay fit... and no rice at all ... but u can have buckwheat bread. its realli low in calories....good luck.
|

replied November 13th, 2009
I lost exesive fat ,feel lot more sexi ,stronger on ultra healthy sami vegan livestyle.Before I hate to exersise,now I do yoga,bike almost daily.Also,there is the fealing for all the poor saffering animals.The mass meat factory farming is just terrible.The regular public never see it.To much money behind this industry.
|

User Profile
replied September 5th, 2018
Experienced User
Of course, take extra chondroitins, soy lecithin and vitamin B12.
|