Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy

Teenage daughter diagnosed 1.5 yrs ago. last seizure 8/07.

Extreme behavioral changes, depression, anxious, aggressive.
Difficult to deal with. On Keppra.

Anyone have this problem, how resolved?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Has your daughter had a recent EEG? The behavioral changes, depression, anxiety and aggression can all be symptoms of neurological changes secondary to subclinical seizure activity. Perhaps a visit to her neurologist is in order. Sometimes hormonal changes can trigger seizures. Have you seen any staring, calling her and she does not respond (I know - what kid doesn't do that), daydreaming, confusion? These are symptoms of seizures.

Sorry I can't tell you more. Your daughter needs an EEG and to be assessed by her neurologist.
|

replied April 28th, 2009
Depakote
holdu, Has your daughter tried Depakote. I take 2,000mg a day. I noticed a little weight gain but not to much else. I had the same side effects as your daughter but I was on Topamax. I have had JME for 12 years. I went 7 years without having an episode on Depakote. But when I started to change around my meds the JME broke through. If you find something that works stick with it.
|
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....