User Profile
Ok, so for about three days I had been dealing with, what I assumed was a mean case of vertigo. The dizzy feeling went away with each passing day (this being the fourth) and today it's there but very faint. Last night, I got kind of a faint numb feeling on a little part of the left side of my face and for the past two days I would get a little numb feeling on the back of my neck. It wasn't the whole side of the face, just a little spot from maybe around the eye, down to the lower cheek. I went to the ER, told the doctor what had been happening and he prescribed me with some Antivert and sent me on my way. Usually visits to Doctors leave me feeling better but I just felt like I was kind of rushed out of there. So I guess my question is: Should I be worried about those feelings and maybe go back and see if I can get a different diagnosis or should I just take the Antivert and see what happens?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2010
Neurological Disorders Answer A17375
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Yes go back for a check up. Dizziness followed by numbness in face and neck can be due to compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required.

Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.