Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Just quit smoking marijuana (Page 1)

Hi All,

Wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on this. I am 23 years old and quit smoking cigarettes almost 4 years ago and never looked back. I work out daily (e.g. lifting, running) and am a pretty active individual. Aside from my cigarette habit, I just recently quit smoking marijuana. I had smoked weed on pretty much a daily basis for approximately 6 years and was wondering if it's likely I've done irreversible damage to myself. I've read conflicting reports on the matter but I've essentially decided that since there is so much controversy over the subject, it's probably best to just stop all together. Common sense tells me it's not as bad as cigarettes because you don't see hippies from the 60's dropping dead left and right however, I wanted to get some other insights into this subject. I said, my biggest concern is that while I've stopped now, I feel as though I'm doomed to develop COPD or cancer by 45 and be dead by 60. Please advise as this is somewhat stressfull. Thanks all.

-Bigboi
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mcbob
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2008
Experienced User
I stopped smoking MJ about 5 years ago after 4 years of the chronic (use). I noticed an immediate improvement in health. My immune system rebounded within 6 months, I was less susceptible to cold, flu and herpes outbreaks, and I was less depressed! I think you'll be fine ... just give it some time. You can' undo what's been done, but you can focus on good health in the here and now.

Wink

Congratulations!
|

Hi illustriously fickle,

I appreciate the quick response. Just a quick follow-up question. I always hear and read things about people smoking "long-term." What exactly is long-term smoking? 4 years? 6 years? 10 years? I just didn't know if there was a specefic time frame that qualifies as long term. Thanks in advance.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Well, according to the NIH, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. So that could be potentially damaging to your lungs and respiratory system.

I personally think of short-term as anything 3 months or less. Long term, and chronic (or daily) MJ smoking might be a duration of 6 months + ... Check out this link on the long term effects of using Marijuana (cancer and respiratory disorders are among the possibilities:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/MarijBroch/Marijt eens.html
|

replied September 11th, 2008
people dont think that smoking weed is bad but it really is i just stopped doing it because i figured its kinda lame and a waste of money. i feel much better even lost a few pounds and everything. u should be fine the body often repairs itself
|

replied September 22nd, 2008
bigboi223 some thoughts
Hi Bigboi223!

Congratulations on recently quitting! A couple of thoughts about your use/use in general: your usage was indeed of a habitual user/addict nature. Don't beat yourself up over terminology; i used daily, and heavily for 16 years of my life. Anything you smoke can cause drastic cellular changes. Healthy cells morph based on the level of carcinogens in the smoke itself, so yes it damages tissue. We also inhale more deeply, and hold it in longer-the technique in smoking pot also lends itself to damage. It takes a significant amount of time (we are talking years) for lung tissues to repair. Also, smoking pot increases your heart rate, and in some cases causes palpitations and irregular rhythms--not good. Keep your chin up. You can only do what we all can which is dedicate yourself to a healthier lifestyle, keeping up on your antioxidants, and sticking to your fitness routine. You'll be alright, but don't let anyone tell you that marijuana is harmless to your health.
|

replied January 7th, 2009
Great Going there Bigboi223,

Yes, Marijuana does harm... more than cigarettes perhaps. yes there are chances of cancer, bhronchitis, impotency and insomnia with marijuana... not to forget lethargy, aggression, nervousness and paranoia....

You have done no damage to your body... just don't get back to the addiction...

replied January 9th, 2009
I smoked daily for 15 years. Now i just smoke it about twice a year. Have been basically quit for about 15 years, and have never had any ill effects that I or any a doctor has noticed.
|

replied February 9th, 2009
It Can Happen to You...
I have been a chronic smoker of cigs and pot for THIRTY FIVE YEARS. And yes, I was recently diagnosed with COPD (emphysema) at the age of 52. It's mild (26% loss of lung function) but VERY noticable. This was my second quit from cigs - it's like falling off a log compared to quitting pot. In 35 years I quit weed *once*, I was that addicted. I was tired of pot being my Master - all the missed opportunities, the wasted time, the HUGE waste of money, becoming a recluse - ALL of it. I finally prayed to my "higher power", archangels, guardian angels, and all my dead relatives (and I'm not even religious, in the traditional sense) to remove the desire. I knew I couldn't do it on my own. I needed help, and asked for it. As long as your intentions are good, God will listen. I hate to sound like a hardcore fundy or something, but it worked for me. I woke up the next morning without any cravings. It's only been 4 days, and it hasn't been easy, but I never would have thought it would have *worked* for me. It sure beats walking around dragging an oxygen tank for the remainder of your (brief) life. <end of "sermon">
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2009
Experienced User
I also was tired of pot taking control of my life. Funny thing was, I was never addicted. I just, always felt like doing it. I smoked everyday (at least 3 grams) for 6 years. I worshipped the stuff. But it got to the point where it wasn't fun for me anymore.
On New Years Eve 2007, I thought to myself (while smoking pot), I think I'm going to see if I can quit smoking this stuff. So, after midnight, when everyone started lighting up, I didn't participate. I had a really bad cough at the time, and by not smoking pot I saw a HUGE difference in recovery time. Now, 1 year later, I haven't gotten a cough once. I even smoke cigarettes still, and have tried to quit them MANY, MANY times, but, to no avail.
I think at least limiting yourself with your pot use will be very beneficial to your health. And when I say limited, I'm not thinking once a week. I'm thinking 2-3 times a year.
I will tell you this. I visited some friends who smoke pot when I was about 8 months pot-free. I gave in to the temptation, and smoked while I was there. I suffered from EXTREME depression after that. I mean, my brain didn't seem to work right and it took me about a week after that to get back on track.
Very strange thing to happen to an ex-pothead.
|

replied March 12th, 2009
You will be very happy
You will be happy that you finally have quit! I quit smoking myself after going to rehab and then Sober Living thanks to those programs and AA I have been able to maintain abstinence for nearly 2 years. Not to say that my method is for everyone, just that it worked for me. Keep up the good work!
|

replied July 21st, 2009
what are some symptoms of pot withdrawal? i have been smoking daily for 35 years, except when pregnant, as i am
approaching menopause (50 years old) 3 days of not smoking & the hot flashes are through the roof!!! since i
have a history of blood clots, i can not do hormone replacement therapy & i am suffering greatly!! plus, when do you get to sleep again? no pot + no sleep for me.
any suggestions?
|

replied December 7th, 2009
How to quit smoking marijuana/cannabis/weed
Want to quit smoking marijuana?
Want to unlock your full potential as a human being?
Want to not get stoned for 30 minutes and be burnt out the rest of the time?
If not, stop reading.

1st step in quitting is saying youre going to stop doing it. "Alright,..I'm done with my marijuana days. It was a fun ride, I learned a lot, sat around a lot, but it's over now." Or if you need the assurance that you can go back to marijuana: "Ok, marijuana is easy to get, it will probably be legalized soon, this is just to see how my normal mentality is vs my mentality on weed. (there is such a thing, as I so sadly discovered when I quit).
I can go back to it in 6 months if I want to. No prob."

Ok, now you CANNOT smoke marijuana now. No more "last one". This is it. The beginning of the end of marijuana. Well let's start small, this is the end of marijuana for at least 6 months.

An easy way to quit marijuana is this; replace smoking weed with an activity that gets your mind going (guitar, computers, running [helps the most and cuts down from 6 months to about 4 or 5], or ANYTHING not drug related. These activities (particularly guitar and learning computer stuff) require that you learn something new in an organized fashion, turning on all parts of the brain which, while I have no proof, marijuana turns off/slows down. Because of this, you will be really f&cking annoyed the first week or so. Deal with it, the urge to smoke goes away in about a month.

Anyone going through pot withdrawl should buy 2 or 3 very helpful supplements at a wal mart or vitamin store...fish oil/Omega3-6-9, melatonin, and 5 htp if you want to try it. When you get tired, it is the work of a chemical called melatonin. Marijuana increases melatonin by around 4000% making you very tired. Well after awhile you're body gets used to this and EXPECTS a THC (active chemical in weed; what gets you high) molecule to get you to sleep. By simply adding melatonin, you got the sleep problem out of the way. I recommend 1 to 2 mg of melatonin if youre over 140 lbs, 1 mg or less if under. I find 1 mg knocks me out and 6 mg does nothing at all so start small. Next, depression. I can't imagine how much it will suck quitting after years/decades of a constant stream of THC in you, but you got to do it; no turning back. THC is fat soluble so it slowly goes away; you will not notice your mind going back to normal for at least a month or so. Give it time. Going on, THC also mimics a natural chemical called ALA, but not in a 100% sort of way. Anyway by mimicking ALA your body makes less of it because it confuses THC for ALA. This is part of the depression because your body has less ALA than normal. Omega 3-6-9/fish oil is converted into ALA so taking this daily the first week or 2 helps. 5 htp is a precursor to serotonin, which long term marijuana use depletes. 1 or 2 of these the 2nd week of quitting helped me a lot, so it may help you too.
Remember that essentially you want to use these vitamins to wane out the withdrawl; YOU DO NOT WANT TO REPLACE YOUR ADDICTION WITH ANOTHER SUBSTANCE!!! Although I find it highly, highly unlikely that you will get addicted to fish oil or melatonin (yes I've tried to get high on these back in the day; doesn't work), it could be possible (noticeably with the melatonin as that WILL get you to sleep). All of these substances are natural and are NOT "drugs". Together they will cost around $10-$15 which is worth the new mentality and freedom you will get, and it is an amazing mentality. I don't want to sound lame or anything but you simply can't imagine how you be 6 months after quitting, it's !**@! amazing. Believe me when I say you will ask yourself why you didn't do this a long long time ago when you come out of the "haze". Getting out of my haze took 3 months of not smoking any marijuana at all, but it was totally worth it. Pretty much after coming out of the haze you're happy all the time, only need to sleep 6 hours instead of 12, mind goes back to the way it was meant to be (can do math problems and recall information extremely fast now!), get more money, respect, and it's the end of a chapter in your life.

Remember that 99% is your determination to quit and you're good.

Good luck, God speed, and don't you dare smoke, least not for 6 months. Cheers! Smile
|

replied January 30th, 2010
hello all, i am 23 yrs old and i have been smoking pot since i was 13. I've smoked at least once a day for the past 10 years, and i can tell you from personal experience that pot "CAN NOT" harm you (unless you take a big rip off a bong, then be prepared to cough a lot) Im happily married my wife does not smoke and she has no prob with me smoking as long its not around my two sons (4-1) so im very much not steril. i have no anger issues no anxiety my blood pressure is 108/60 i work out 6 days a week i have a great job (thank god they dont drug test, yet anyway) i work at nite so i smoke so i can sleep during the day ...ect

im not saying pot is harmless
what I am saying is that pot has had no neggative effect on my body or my lifestyle.
|

replied January 30th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
holepunchkx30p wrote:
i can tell you from personal experience that pot "CAN NOT" harm you
im not saying pot is harmless
what I am saying is that pot has had no neggative effect on my body or my lifestyle.

What is it exactly that you are saying?
Are you claiming that Marijuana can cause cancer, trigger anxiety disorders and schizophrenia, sleep disorders, periods of escalated heart rate among other health issues?
|

replied April 7th, 2010
All''s I have to say is if everyone used a vaporizer to "use" marijuana or if everyone consumed marijuana then this topic of conversation wouldn''t even exist. I still don''t understand how anyone claims that weed is so bad. I understand the so called withdrawal effects but I hate that the government has so many people ill-informed. When I turned 18(I''m 23 now) I started smoking cigarettes. I don''t know what it was about them but I LOVED cigs...I remember thinking how did I ever get to this point in my life that I''m addicted to something....Anyways long story short I COULD NOT quit smoking cigarettes....I needed something to help get it off my mind etc etc.....So I started smoking weed. My cravings for cigs became non-existent and I can quit smoking weed whenever I want(therefore eliminating cigs all together). I think people have things misconstrued about marijuana. Almost all of the side effects of quitting are things that can be EASILY counter-acted. If you can''t sleep....take a NATURAL supplement to help you. If you feel very aggravated for no reason....take a breath and just relax and realize that the only reason you''re feeling like this is to make a peace that you CAN quit smoking weed if neccesary. Marijuana is illegal for NO reason. If pot was accepted just like cigarettes no one would think twice about lighting up a doobie......Just my .02
|

replied April 7th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Just out of curiousity what do you take to counteract the Anxiety disorder and Schizophrenia?

If pot were was accepted just like cigerettes you wouldn''t have taken up the habbit out fo fear for your health. There''s a lot of very foolish propaganda that mariguana isn''t dangerous because it''s organic like arsnic or because it''s used medicinally just like Box Jellyfish toxins. It is an unpredictable, addictive narcotic that has long-term measured medical impacts that are severely destructive to many users.

If you''re going to use drugs of any sort that''s your decision but don''t kid yourself and certainly don''t harm others by claiming that Pot is some sort of magical plant that can''t harm you. It may be less destructive to your health than chugging hydrocloric acid but it''s not doing you any favors.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied April 16th, 2011
WOlfey
Sir with all do respect in order to have a balanced opinion you have to see from all perspectives. Mary Jane helps me a ton with my depression bi polar disorder, which i had before i smoked....funny thing was that they drugged me with all types of pills..none of those did anything but exacerbate the symptoms. Everytime i lit up i felt connected to a spiritual scource and appreciative of things i would have otherwise overlooked in my sober state. I also felt a strong ability to control my emotions and responses to others. Often my problem was that i always reacted without thinking or feeling it out and i would come off as offensive or to intense. So when i smoked marijuana ( which by the way smoking is not good we all know this, it doesnt matter what you smoke it is never going to be good for you) i entered into a deeper awareness not present in my sober state of mind in which i could control my my mind and behaviors instead of simply being a robot and just reacting. Whyy did i feel better and more happy when i smoked...? Well you have previously mentioned that(precursor serotonin) melatonin goes up 4000 precent when you smoke this may be the reason for feeling happy and euphoric and hungry and sleepy.Because serotonin is a feel good neurochemical when it is released (smoking pot or many other things)you naturally feel good. This is why when they put me on ssris i felt bad( blocking the higher levels in which i need). I naturally need an elevated level of serotonin and this was relevant like i said well before i started smoking. So the herb showed me this and now i make sure i am getting an adequate amount of tryptophan which is the precursor to serotonin through my diet or 5 htp supplements. I also realized that even though metaphysics arent currently accepted by the western medicine when you smoke marijuana you become, wether you want to or not highly aware of subtle levels of feelings and sensations that are always present but not always "loud enough for you to hear". If you dont understand plant spirit healing and metaphysics your not going to understand the medicine of the cannabis high and how it works. For instance most pot smokers dont know (but i have conducted multiple reseaches and have always had the same outcomes) that when you have the munchies it is you being more aware of how your body is actually feeling and it is saying hey buddy im starving and malnourished feed me good healthy whole foods!!!! but the average pot head downs some potatoe chips to satisfy and they find themselves still with the munchies,,,Well guess what cheech if your body wasnt malnourished and you understood nutition you wouldnt get the munchies and if you did you would know you have some nutritional healing to catch up with your body. I have also noticed that smoking the herb makes you more aware of mental processes so if you toke and get parnoid or have increased uncontrollable thinking this may be happening anways you might just not notice it in your high beta state of awareness and you may need to adress it through breath work or emotional cleansing or posssibly spend more time being in your body and feeling instead of letting your mind run(yoga mediation). Again mary jane just wants to show you this but instead you blame it on her and continue your life becoming more beta and less receptive therefore exceeding past the levels of deeper awareness in which expose your flaws. I can go on about this but im not sure how many of you will even think past your standard conditioning of science is everything..and even on that note go look at other studies that disprove some of the scientific stuff about cannabis such as it kills brain cells. They revealed the man who did that study pumped 30 colombian strength joints into a monkeys lungs in a matter of 15 minutes without any additional oxygen, so for those of us who have a brain we realize it not the cannabis its the suffocation that killed the brain cells ( and we all know suffocation kills brains cells)and since this study done back in the seventies there have been a number of studies shown that cannabis stimulates brain cell growth.Folks your not becoming dumb your trading parts of your brain, if you notice bob marley wasnt a huge thinker but he was hella good at music and often was in contemplation or meditation which can be attributed to the right hemisphere of the brain. Which is also the area of the brain in which intuitive processses operate . So i think we need to examine all aspects of this plant and its medicine physical and spiritual because they rely on each other and you cannot have a balanced perspective without both sides. Which folks is why you cant always smoke cannabis ...you need your left brain as well lol...and why if you do smoke cannabis you need to understand what it depletes in your body and you need to make up for it and also understand that as humans we need balance so find the right balance of what is too much or too little if you are using cannabis medicinally and if you feel you have an addiction problem adress it and make sure it isnt just passed on to food or sex or tv or computer games which doesnt solve the problem (again lol mary will show you ur an addict but you will blame it on her, and chances are the sober guy who wrote the above statement has some type of addiction wherther it be pinball or trying to get the world to give up on a plant that is more then we could ever understand...and im not hating on you wolf im just pointing out that in our culture most of us have an addiction we just choose to manifest it in different ways. Half of these destructive behaviors are just examples of the ills of our culture anyways if you examiune them on a deeper level. .( O you started smoking cuz it made you feel good and now that you smoke too much you feel depressed and dont love it like you used to lol well i love mangoes and they taste so good but when i eat them everyday i begin to not apreciate its taste and it becomes a habit then i realize woa i need to try other things too that way i dont become so accustomed to the taste of magoes...lol get it... Mary is here to help you lol she is a wonderful way to connect with the earth and gaiiain feminine energy but dont abuse her or your no better then the pricks reaping everything off this earth for there own benefit and she will no longer grant you the gift of her medicine which is far more than physical.. did you forget why you loved her.. di you lose the appreciation before hand and ritual in which you had when you were younger.. mary jane is a vehicle of altered consciousness and like a vehicle you can drive it off a cliff and crash,,,but also likea vehicle if you know how to drive it and you know the roads your driving on it cant get you to places you couldnt have gotten if you were walking lol.. On another note sir your cancer theorys must be shot down and expelled as heresy. There are a mutlitude of studies proving components in the cannabis plant can stop tumor growth and it has also been proven that thc selectivly has the ability to target cancerous cells and program there death. This means folks and dont let them shoot you down (research this and research it with an open mind and heart) if used correctly cannabis can be a viable alternative to chemotherapy, especially when thc extracts are ingested with along with a vegan diet and adequate exercise and water. There is also a study that shows chronic marijuana smokers are more then 40 percent less likely to develop cancers of the head neck and lungs....SO why is this folks...? How could this be, most people think it might cause lung cancer....I will tell you how this may be... You have natural occuring cannabinoid receptors in your lungs brain and immune system. When you smoke marijuana thc binds to the receptors and as proven in a number of studies thc effectivly reduces the number or cancerous cells via cell death programming. So the cells that try to become cancerous get destroyed beore the chance to because of the constant stream of thc in which habitual smokers get.. As stated before though smoking is unhealthy and an innefficient way of taking cannabis medicine. The body can utilize the herb much better if taken internally and often one has a much more medicinal experience wether it be pain relief or just for anxiety which is most likely caused by the way we live!!!!!!!!!!! Yall might not fully understand me and that OKay!!! But just know if you really love mary jane in a deep way and you dont want to quit because you love her and what she brings and she is part of your lifestyle stop hurting yourself and do yourself the favor of learning mroe about her and yourself and ultimatly you might regain that missing aspect of healing or you may realize she is not appropriate for you at this stage of life.. either way folks being high is about life and life isnt about being high Peace and Love hope i shed some light to those who have something deep within saying dont leave me...She is a great teacher but when you stop learning and apreciating she stops teaching and relieving..You reap what you sew yall!!! and Mary Jane has helped me realize this!!! ..Smile)
|

replied April 16th, 2011
meditation and love

soundslike wolfey may have smoked and been exposed to his own messed up subconscious and holds some pregidouses
|

replied April 7th, 2010
"Just out of curiousity what do you take to counteract the Anxiety disorder and Schizophrenia?"
I personally don''t have ANY problems dealing with marijuana so you don''t have to tag me with being schizo and having an anxiety order...The only problem I''ve ever had was sleeping and I take a natural supplement that marijuana produces (melatonin). If I sleep good then I don''t have ANY problem quitting smoking weed at ANYTIME and I''ve smoked on and off for 5 years. I smoke whenever I want....I can also quit whenever I want. It''s all about how YOU deal with the plant. No one else but YOU can make yourself become addicted to a non-addictive chemical. I have a question for you....If marijuana was designed from the beginning to be consumed rather than smoked what negative effects would you be complaining about? Seriously. Do me a favor and do some research without finding biased information....EVERY negative thing you have to say about marijuana can be contradicted for the "drugs" benefit......
|

replied April 7th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
b51052 wrote:
I have a question for you....If marijuana was designed from the beginning to be consumed rather than smoked what negative effects would you be complaining about? Seriously. Do me a favor and do some research without finding biased information....EVERY negative thing you have to say about marijuana can be contradicted for the "drugs" benefit......

I would complain about Schizophrenia, depression and Chronic Anxiety, because those disorders ruin your ability to function in the world. I wouldn''t be a big fan of sleep disorders or having my heart rate monkeyed with because those health issues can cause you serious complications. Here''s your favor, have a look at the AMA website and the NDIC, both are highly biased by medical research over several generations of pot use. If you don''t trust your government look at Schizophrenia.com or WebMD.com, both highly regarded independants. Read any medical textbook published in this decade. Really get information from anwhere that doesn''t sell tie-died hemp Tshirts. Pot is a dangerous drug. Now that that''s clear, and you have the power to quit at any time, just quit.
|

replied April 7th, 2010
As of right now I haven''t smoked since saturday. Like I previously stated I am in control of my life. I do what I want and that''s that. If I wanted to smoke weed 24-7 I would but I can regconize a problem when I see it. I KNOW that weed makes you lazy but if the person that is smoking weed is ALREADY lazy then what''s your excuse? I''ve never had any schizophrenic episodes nor have I been depressed or anxious about anything. If you actually read these 2 pages and understand where I''M coming from then you would understand how I have my "habit" very much under control.
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....