Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Just one person who knows what I'm talking about would be nice.

I don't think what I'm about to describe is a panic attack but i can't find anyone else who has ever experienced this...

This has happened 3 times in about 7 years. I don't think I could handle anymore than that.

It always starts when I wake up out of a deep sleep. I will get this strange confused feeling. The first time it happened I had this strange dream that aliens were shooting my thoughts with this gun. Every time they would shoot my thoughts i would get this weird sensation like an electric shock in my head. Well then I woke up and the feeling didn't stop.

It was like there were a zillion thoughts in my head and not one of them would catch. eventually it gets so intense that i get this weird sort of amnesia, like all of my thoughts have blurred together. It turns in to this weird identity trip. Like I'm going to forget who I am or something. I called my mom once during an episode and she thought I was having a stroke because I couldn't speak. The i go slightly catatonic...

It's the single scariest thing that has ever happened to me. Anyway, no stupid comments plz. I think it's anxiety related because a xanax helped immensely last time. If anyone has anything to say please do.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi dillionollid....Nope, I have never had a trip like that....However, I do think if a person is into this sort of alien thing and believes in it plus follows this thought in his/her mind, that a nightmare of the same fear can reappear over the years...It can be so scary that they cannot forget it...Actually so scary that it plays on their mind and they just may corner it to bring back in the future...I think the mind is such a fascinating place and that you can be so shocked at what you just dreamed or envisioned that you can near make it real...Just my thoughts on this...Take care...

Caroline
|

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2010
My explanation might be weirder than your experience. The human brain more or less functions on the dictates of what one might call (for sake of easiness) software codes. You case may be that of a general mix up of software codes running. A simple ‘refresh’ command might set the problem right. However, currently we do not know how to do this, or where the ‘refresh’ button is.
Usually in computers there is the other option of formatting and reinstalling the operating system and reinstalling the programs. But this is not possible here, other than through death and (may be) rebirth.
As to your alien experience, it might just be a separate file opened on aliens in your brain software, by some words you heard or some other suggestions. May I say that simple words can at certain junctures create powerful files inside the brain software? These files, like viruses, can activate themselves and even go on to create their own network of other files.
I am not sure that I am in a position to help you solve your problem, but then I should suggest that human brain is connection imperceptibly with an immensity of other software, including other human beings’ mind and with other software entities of which we are materially unaware of.
Just bear in mind that words are powerful inputs, and can inputs powerful codes into the brain software. Other than that I can only say that what you experience is real as far as your brain in concerned. Instead of being intimidated with the experience, it would be good if you can dare to investigate the phenomena. Take the stand that it is a natural experience and not a disease. Do not allow anyone to tell you that you are having some disease. For you do not. All it needs is the mental stamina and the will to seek out what the brain software is reacting to. Well, it may take time, but in years to come, a newer understanding of reality and thought process may emerge.
|

replied July 17th, 2010
Nighttime paralysis and mental shocks
I may know something similar to what you are going through. In my case I would wake up with little control over my thoughts, and feelings like I was getting a mental shock treatment... Not physical, but it did cause a slight ringing in my ears and dizzyness. I was totally paralized and fought and fought until I could get something to move. This has happened mostly when I was younger and really freaked me out. Now I just deal with random and disconnected anxiety and panic attacks (as well as ones my mind creates).
I've tried to do a lot of research over the years and have come up to this conclusion. I have a genetic disorder (mother was Agoraphobic, father had disabilitating anxiety, both alcoholics, brother and sister have panic attacks). This disorder causes my body to trigger a catecholamine shot to the system that my brain sees as a "fight or flight" fear that doesn't have anything to attach it to. The brain starts to find things to attach it to... heights, flying, open spaces, driving, foods, whatever (I had a lot of phobias to undue once I figured this out).
In any case where I think this relates to you is that I think I would have a panic attack in my sleep. Unfortunately the mind/body disconnects and paralyzes the body so that it doesn't move while dreaming, however the brain cannot figure out what is going on, and is in a panic to do something, but cannot move. Not sure what the ringing and shock are except maybe the brain trying to recover from the sleep paralysis.

The biggest thing that helped was to start taking Paxil, and have evolved into a mix of zoloft and welbutrin. In any case, I still have the background anxiety at times, and sudden flushes (that I joke with my wife are hot flashes), but the no longer trigger the brain's overreaction. Knowing that this just happens and that there is no specific cause (boy the medical tests I went through over the years ... heart, thyroid, MRI, tilt-table stress excersize echocardiograms etc...).

Think about if the problem is a physical non-specific shock to the body, and your unprepared brain is trying to find anything it can to explain the feelings, and in what it thinks is a life-threatening situation.

Do you have anxiety or even sudden panic attacks while awake for no reason?
Do you have a family history of phobias or "mental breakdowns" which were really physical reactions to random panic shocks to the system?
Family history of Alcoholism or drug abuse (their way of coping what they could not identify).

In any case, I know the paralysis, the mind running multiple threads of thought processes at 100 miles an hour, the almost electric shocks that hit every couple of seconds. That is what I came up with. I hope this helps you.

Unless you've been through it, you have no chance of understanding, but thanks to those who offer sympathy and offer non-critical suggestions.
|

replied September 14th, 2010
Are you taking anti depressants? like SSRI, cause they cause "brain zaps" when you come off some of them, really weird feeling. if you are on them, maybe you missed a pill or 2? or something interacted with them. Depression and Anxiety cause what you are describing, thoughts blurred together, can't remember things, bad dreams, etc.
But I had something like this once, really weird and scary. Not sure what I was dreaming about, but it was like a dream/reality at the same time. I woke up, but I could not move at all, my hands legs, back, neck, anything to get up. I finally did, but I think I remember 2, the first one was a dream, and the second time it happened (same thing basically) and minutes after the first one, I was awake. I physically remember trying to get up but could not at all.
Finally I did, then washed my face with cold water, went outside to get some air and process it all.
luckily, never happened again, nothing that bad
talk to doc.
good luck
|

replied December 17th, 2010
wow, how the mind can play tricks with you,How ever do we learn to control the mind we have but some how we have to.x
|

replied December 28th, 2010
I've had a kind of sleep paralysis similar to what you experienced, sort of. It was like a nightmare, but in my nightmare I was in the exact same place I had fallen asleep. I felt like i was both really drunk and stoned, and on several tabs of acid. Felt like a scary overdose and I kept feeling strange pangs to my head. Racing thoughts are some effects of panic attacks that have nothing to be directed towards, which especially pop up when they occur in your sleep. If xanax helps, you should see a psychiatrist or just a normal counselor/doctor. They may be able to prescribe you some pills to take when stuff like this does happen - I saw my doc about normal anxiety disorders and got a script for xanax.
|

replied January 27th, 2011
hi
i don't want to scare you, I had similar dreams and couple years later Found out I was having seizures in my sleep. And now I have panic attacks.
|

i don't want to scare you, I had similar dreams and couple years later Found out I was having seizures in my sleep. And now I have panic attacks.
|

|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...