Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

Just can't quit cutting

for some reason i just cant stop. ill feel all good about myself and think wow everythings great but one liitle thing will happen and the only way i know out of it is to cutt. then i realize everything is even worse. and i have no idea on what i should do. like i cant just do one cut and be fine i have to do like 20. and they have to be deep or ill add more. all i want is to live my life normaly but it just isnt happening i need some advice.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2010
Experienced User
Hey there,
You know why you keep constantly want to cut? Your not expressing yourself in a protective and sensible manner.
You are not crying when somthing bad happens or expressing how you feel. When you cut you feel that your problems will just simply slip away as soon as your skin opens up. Its not as easy as that darling, i know from experience that cutting is not the way forward. You think of the danger you are putting yourself through evertime you cut yourself. You could hit a main vien that would not stop bleeding and what about the scars they leave. Think of your beautiful body.
If you feel the need to cut i found the best ways to deal with it it to scream, write and use elastic bands on my wrists and art, painting is fantastic too. I dont think anyone can be totally cured from this because everyone sees cutting as a relationship. You share your life with cutting and you protect it and share it.
Also you could go to your GP or to a counselling service that can help you deal with expressing yourself in different ways.
I hope this helps and if you need someone to talk too im here. X
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied May 26th, 2012
appreciate your effort
i cut while crying, almost to the point that i loose feeling in my arm, and i have tried expressing myself in every manor possible. right now as i type i bleed. its not always about not knowing or being able to express your hurt sometimes its just about feeling physical pain and not emotional. I would take physical pain anyday of week over this junk.
|

replied February 16th, 2010
actually i am crying while i cut and i cry more when im done. ive tried. and its hard to quit when you have no one backing you up. or your boyfriend thinking its so stupid. then your parents saying well when lifes hard you gotta get through it on your mown. and not trying to help...it makes cutting a little bite worse. and i know all the dangers. im not stupid. i watch where i cut..thats why i do on my hips.
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2010
Experienced User
Hey, Do you somtimes feel rejected when your boyfriend and family think about this in that way? I had no one backing me up either, everyone thought i was a freak and wouldnt even talk to me.
What your parents said is the biggest load of thing ever. When life gets hard your supposed to have some one there to offer guidence and support not tell you that life is going to give you lemons. Cutting when things like this happen is going to make it worse. You need to go to your doctor and/or friend and get that support because somtimes it doesnt come to us in time. And i know your not stupid but i understand what frame of mind people are in when they cut and they can somtimes loose control. Hang in there and please try and see your doctor. X
|

replied February 25th, 2010
i had this expericene also this year still trying my best not to but my counselor told me to think about thing u enjoy. ive heard if you want to cut put a ice cube on where ever u cut at and the wil numb the pain. if ur mad: puinsh your bed, blast your music, yell, scream, what ever you want to do that can get your mind off of cutting. hang in there.
i dont have much of a support eith right now: my friends think im stupid for cutting, my old counselor thought i did it for attention and same with my mom, ny dad and brother got mad. are u in counseling? if u ever need to talk im here.
|

replied June 18th, 2011
i know exactly what you going through cutting helps a lot, after cutting you feel a lot lighter but just a tiny little thing could trigger you. My family said i was insane and wanted me to go on a trip and i didn't help. i stopped a year ago after i actually killing myself. but lately i've been going back to those old habits and it scares me. if you need someone to talk to i'm here
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2011
YOU CAN STOP, YOU CAN STOP! I did, but it has taken a lot of effort and hard work.

I spent a month at University Behavioral Health in Denton, Texas getting help. This hospital is specifically geared toward self-abuse individuals. I recommend it to anyone reading this post. Many insurance companies will pay for it. Type S.A.F.E. Self-Abuse Finally Ends. I have this tattooed on my arm.

You need professional help. Your mom, dad or friends mean well, but they don't have the skills. Please see a professional who understands cutting.

I have cut myself over 1500 times and succumbed to cutting two months ago. It had been about six months between episodes. It will be battle the rest of your life, but you can win.

Good luck and look into University Behavioral Health.
|

replied June 25th, 2011
im a cutter too but not as serious i cut when im upset but my friend lost her dad and she cuts like you except deep and for no aparent reason im trying to quit and i know this sounds like it wont work but when i feel the need to cut i use a pen and mark myself with it until i feel i dont need to cut anymore its helped me and im cut free for a week now give it ago aslong as u dont put it into and open cut its fine,oh and wash where u draw too
|

replied April 13th, 2012
I have been cutting for six years now. i know the feeling all to well. this is the first time im telling anybody about it. i dont know what it is but after i feel so much better. i know its self destructive but at that moment i dont care. its been a month now since my last time, and i think about it often. it haunts me like an addiction. i just work myself to the bone to keep from thinking about depression or my old self destructive habits. but it will always be a monkey on my back...
|

replied June 2nd, 2012
The reason you feel better after cutting is because your brain releases endorphins, also known as the "feel-good" chemical. But the problem with this is that it is only temporary so when it fades, you feel worse and have to cut again to get the endorphins pumping again, hence the addiction like quality, which is what it is. You're addicted to the endorphins because it makes you feel better and it's your body's way of getting high in a sense. But don't let that confuse you because this is a very bad way to feel better. Cutting is not an option. I suffer from it too. I am now 1 year and 2 months clean of it, but that's only because I have found a reason not to do it. Now that reason has broken and I am struggling not to do it again.
|

replied June 2nd, 2012
What you need to do is find a reason not to do it whether it be a promise to a friend or family member who means a lot to you, or what ever other reason you can come up with. If you've ever heard of the movement To Write Love On Her Arms, go to that, think of that. Those people have been through and are going through pain of suicide, depression, self injury, and so much more just like us. I'm going to get a tattoo for this movement on my arm because recently my reason to not do it has left me. So without him, I have nothing. I need something to do it for because myself just isn't an option.

Or here, this something I do. When I get the urge to self injure, I draw a butterfly where I want to do it and write the name of someone or a pet that means a lot to me in the butterfly, that way if I cut the butterfly, I'm hurting/ or killing (didn't want to use that because it sounds soo bad) that person or pet. It helps me out. I think you should give it a try. Smile
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....