Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Jones Fracture/ am I receiving adequate care??

I have a confirmed true Jone's Fracture; I'm at week 8; and now walking with a cane and the aircast, but have a lot of pain at the fracture site if I do this for very long at all. This scares me, based on everything I've read. My doctor sees me willingly and whenever I need, and he explains his concerns with too long of 'non weight bearing' ( loss of bone), and the need to stimulate bone growth by bearing weight. I understand this, but I feel like crying because it is all taking so long; and it still HURTS! It scares me. He explained the surgery route for me would be a bone graft; and we could go there, but it has it's own complications, and I, and he, would prefer it heal with conservative treatment. So I am proceeding like this ( bearing weight with the cast and cane as tolerated, but he encourages more weight bearing even though I am reluctant, and concerned about pain at the fracture site; I had no significant healing at week 4; and some beginnings of calcification at week 6; he said xrays are a poor indicator of what's actually going on though and thinks a further xray is not warranted; he said if we thought we were going for the surgery, we'd do a CT scan ); he feels it should heal fairly easily as it is not displaced or separated. I'm afraid we are treating the fracture as a regular type, and am worried enough consideration isn't being given to the fracture type. I feel like I just want to stay off it though; and my own fears from everything I've read, and 2 boughts of significant pain after 'pushing' the weight bearing, make me lack confidence in how we are proceeding. I've been off work since Sept 11th. I'm actually a bit depressed and scared. I'm afraid of this not healing, and worried about if I am being given the proper care; I really don't want surgery,! At what point should this proceedings be considered as not working? Is pain at 8 weeks with weight bearing a signal it's not healed and persisting is folly? Any thoughts on my situation would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 21st, 2014
Hello,

How are you doing now with your Jones Fracture?
I had one Jan. 8th. Two weeks ago. Im deciding when I should return to work?? Im a teacher and on my feet. I still cant walk without crutches. How long do people usually stay off work for?
|

Hi there. I also am a teacher. I ended up off work from Sept 11th to January 6th. Even then I still had a LOT of trouble walking and pain. When I returned to work, my fracture was still 'partially healed' but had achieved fusing across the middle point of the fracture ( as shown by CT scan). My fracture took a long time to progress. But with physio, and adequate time, I am now 'almost' walking reasonably normally. It will take time yet, I am told, and conscientious effort, to build back strength and flexibility. There was still a lot of bone loss from immobilization, and that can be regained with exercise and weight bearing. I am now very glad I did not have surgery, as it comes with it's own problems. It's a longer haul than you may imagine. Take enough time to do it right. Your mobility is important. The strain of trying to work while needing to be immobilized ( and how EXHAUSTED I was; I had no idea it was that exhausting healing from something like this)should not be underestimated. Luckily I have a good teaching contract and I had over 132 unused sick days to access. Even then our school board provides short and long term disability with pay if needed. So luckily I could proceed as my doctor wanted me to, and as my healing required. It all was very much more difficult than I could have anticipated. Good luck to you. Take care of yourself.
|

Hey,
Thanks for the reply.
Last year our Contract got rid of our banked sick days. I had 120 in my bank...

However, this happened at school during gym class, so I'm off on WSIB. I know they probably want me back to work ASAP. My principal says take all the time I need.

Im so confused by this "weighbearing" or "not to weightbear". My doc says "partial weightbearing". I'm exhausted from just getting around the house. Also my other ankle hurts from hopping around!!

I cannot imagine having to teach right now-I just dont know how many weeks I should stay home? Am I supposed to go back to work even though I'm in so much pain?

I'm anxious to get back to my students...but obviously healing is more important.
|

Hi.
My advice would be to stay off work until you are reasonably pain free, and NOT in a cast anymore. Partial weight bearing means to use your crutches, but to 'swing through' by putting your cast to the ground to help with balance and walking with the crutches. Doing this is important so you minimize bone loss ( which really happens during the no weight bearing stage). Weight bearing also stimulates bone growth ( but do not weight bear to the point of the foot feeling pain or discomfort). If you find it hard to know what to do, ask for a physiotherapist to show you ( they are invaluable). If you are only at week 2 you may have to go really slow with this. You will need physio afterwards to help with your other side, as well as with regaining normal movement in the involved foot. You tube is a goldmine for physiotherapists demonstrating everything from how to use crutches and partial weight bear, to the physio exercises you need after you are out of your cast. If you can't access a therapist due to costs ( or lack of universal medical care; are you in the states?), then look on you tube. Don't go back sooner than you should. You're going to need at least 6 weeks MINIMUM if you are lucky enough to manage very speedy healing. I started with a month off, then added 2-3 weeks each time as required. My leave was labelled " indefinite" and yours should be too, as it may take longer than you think. Involve your doctor; he should be writing medical notes for you to give to WCB; be clear about how exhausted you are and if you have pain etc.; don't just 'suck it up'. Your long time and future mobility is definitely at stake here. You need to do your healing right. I found it far more difficult, and it took far longer, and the residual effects after the cast came off were far more significant, than I ever thought they would be.
|

Mialee,

Wow. Thanks so much for your very detailed explanation. I'm freaking out a bit.

I'm in Canada and Full Physiotherapy covered. My family doctor is pretty involed. I will ask him Monday about giving me a note and staying off for longer.

My school board wanted me to start back after 2 weeks and start working half days to ease into it. Family doc did says to Partial Weightbear. The days I overdo it-my ankle balloons up. I can't imaging teaching 25 kids--that happens just walking around the house.
My friends all tell me to stay off longer--and now listening to you I can't believe how much more involved tihs is. I dont understand how students brake bones and show up to school the next day with a cast??

Thank you so much--I may message you next week with an update!!
|

replied January 22nd, 2014
My doctor told me that when you are an adult and break a bone it is VERY different than when kids do.( Also: they are not teaching the class or supervising 25 kids.)Let me know how you make out. I had lots of times when I was confused and worried about how it was all going; asking someone who's been through it can be helpful. Thank goodness for our Medicare! I talked to a woman with this fracture, from the States, and it was costing her a fortune. She also opted out of physio because of the expense. Such a shame. The States is the only developed country without universal medicare for their people. I would hate to live in a country where you had to be afraid to get sick or old unless you were rich.
|

replied January 22nd, 2014
Also: A Jones Fracture is in an area of the bone that has less blood supply, and where two of the foot muscles pull on the bone ( thus pulling the fracture apart ); it is notorious for taking longer to heal. Don't underestimate the need for being OFF your foot if you feel any discomfort ( and you can't do that at work). You could delay or complicate healing with this one; a Jones Fracture is a 'special' bone fracture; not your average Joe, so do what you need to do to get it right.
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....