Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Joint pain and sore muscles

User Profile
Im sixteen years old, female, and for over a year now i've been experiencing periods of joint pain and sore muscles all over my body. Some days are worse than others. Usually with the pain i experience fatigue, to a point where no matter how much rest i get i can't function during the day. I also have high stress levels and mood swings and experience episodes of dizziness. I have also recently been diagnosed with raynauds syndrome. I am curious now if i may have lupus. My doctor can't seem to figure out the cause of my discomfort. At this point im finding little relief and i am frustrated. I just want to know whats going on with my body. Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2010
Lupus Answer A11928
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned with the periods of joint pain and sore muscles and fatigue to the point that you cannot do normal function. You have also made a mention of the stress levels and mood swings and episodes of dizziness. The diagnosis of Raynaud's syndrome has just been made for your case. Stress can act as a trigger for Raynaud’s phenomenon and related complications so you are better off without it. You can join some yoga classes under supervision to beat the stress.
Raynaud's syndrome occurs secondary to number of causes such as scleroderma, SLE, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren syndrome, dermatomyositis and drugs like beta blockers etc. and you need further investigations for the same.
Lupus is an autoimmune disease in which tissues and cells undergo damage mediated by tissue binding autoantibodies and it affects the various systems in the body. The diagnosis of lupus is based on clinical features and autoantibodies. Some criteria having 11 components have been devised which is commonly followed and if patient has any 4 of these during the course of disease, the diagnosis of SLE is likely but not definite of course.ANA are positive in >95% of patients during the course of illness so you can get ANA tested first and keep follow up with your rheumatologist for other tests to reach definitive diagnosis in your case.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lupus , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.