User Profile
i cant help but feel very jelous of my little sister she eats so much but stays so slim. i cant! its not just the fact im jelous its the fact that she loves being the skinny sister of the family. she walks around with her tops rolled up looking in the mirror at her perfectly flat stomach noing that im in the same room looking. the other day one of her friends didnt believe what size she was so she brought all her clothes in just to prove she was as skinny as she sed. she gets away with everything in my family all bcos shes the slim one. she knows im jelous of her yet she still walks around showin of her body. but when she does these things it makes me more and more determined to lose weight and exercise more and more. does ne1 else having siblings like this if so how do u deal with it??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 25th, 2010
I used to have the same problem, only my sister was my twin. She was always smaller than me, and never let me forget it. It used to bother me, but I told myself that I am a different person, and have my own unique qualities. I did my best to always look nice, and be treat others kindly. Now that we are older, I am the one who is smaller, and look younger than her! I also have a great life and have been very blessed. What can I say? Karma really does work!
|

Experienced User
Healthy Self Image
You cannot control what others choose to do but you can and should work on yourself to improve what it is that bothers you about yourself. Start from your inner self first, tackling your self image ensuring that your thoughts about your self image are healthy and realistic. Sometimes we perceive situations inaccurately. For example, what you thought was your sister rubbing it in your face that she is thin by her action of looking at herself in the mirror in front of you, may have just been her, genuinely happy about her own appearance. Rather than what you perceived and she may not have been deliberately trying to hurt your feelings. As you are not happy about your own appearance this caused you instead to be jealous of her appearance rather than being happy for your sister.

There is also the possibility that she too has self image/body issues, and when she was looking in the mirror that day, what you thought was her admiring her own appearance may actually have been her thinking she was too fat. Also her trying desperately to prove her body size could be a warning sign that she too maybe obsessing about body image issues.

Conditions like Anorexia, Bulimia or Body Dysmorphic Disorder are all serious conditions in which distorted self image play a key part. These conditions can also run in family's and need medical treatment and early intervention.

Your sister is younger that you and often younger siblings look to their older sibling for guidance. Being an older sibling is a responsibility in itself, one in which you can be a leader. Often leaders need to earn the respect of those whom follow them but how can your sister respect you if you don't respect yourself. Being happy with yourself is part of self respect.

It is your own responsibility to better yourself however you can in order to feel more joyous about yourself and the rest of the issues you will face in your life. Self victimizing is a vicious cycle that many women fall into, stop it now and take control of your life and your mindset to live a healthier life and to be a better example to your younger sister.

Always seek a medical opinion and advice, the above is my personal opinion. All the best.
|

Experienced User
If you type in: Admin University needs your help Depression & Body image survey, in the search bar above, you should find the link to a survey on body image.

Some of those who've already taken the quiz, posted that they learned a lot about their own body image thoughts whether mindset or fact.

Give it a try, and all the best.
|

replied December 2nd, 2010
Your sister
there are 3 different body types. eating for your body type may improve just from that change. skinny does NOT mean healthy either. I lost an uncle who jogged everyday at 51 yeaours old-he had no fat. went to the store for ice cream on his birthday and never came home. the second thing to consider is blood flow. remember how the body works. fat and waste are removed from blood flow. with over 100,000 miles of arteries you likely have clogged or blocked arterial systems. drugs will not do this either. research the 1998 Nobel Prize in Medicine. a natural occuring amino will help do this. Dr. Mike
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
This is very common situation. One should be determined to compete not to harm. I would suggest you modified atkin diet and regular exercise to surpass her in personality.
Take care
Khan
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Weight Loss , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.