Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Jaw shifting with relaxation

Does your jaw shift on it's own
YES
NO
100%  100%  [ 1 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1
Am I the only person who is experiencing this...I have had TMJ for over 15 years. For the first 10 years at least I just lived with it.
My dentist prescribed Valium and I've had mouth guards, nothing helped and my teeth were completely unaligned. I could feel the joint was out and hanging on the right side for years.

About 5 years ago I joined a gym with a really good yoga instructor. I could feel my muscles relax and my jaw kept moving and it created major pain. As time went on I noticed in the morning just as I woke (no other time) my jaw would shift . I just would relax my muscles and it would move on it's own. Some days it would shift to the right - back -forth etc. But my teeth became aligned and one morning tissue or muscle snapped around my loose jaw. So every morning I just let my jaw move. There are times that it is very painful and gives me headaches. Sometimes it will move and remain in one place until the muscle relaxes.
I went to my dentist to get a better mouth guard and told him about this and he looked at me like I was crazy.

It's been weird sometimes I wonder if it's damaging. But my TMJ is significantly better - not completely. So has anyone else experienced this or can I just leave the world to think I'm just out of my mind.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
no you arent out of your mind. muscles shift. bones shift things change. just keep doing what you are doing and see if you can get completly better
|

replied February 17th, 2009
i've been wearing a splint for 3 months now. I must have been soo swollen prior to starting my treatment, that I was unable to move my jaw much at all. now that my muscles have relaxed ,I also feel my jaw moving on it's own from side to side , sort of in circular motion when i am completely relaxed and let it do so. i asked my tmj doctor if I should prevent it from moving this way by stiffening my jaw muscles and he told me to just let my body take over. he said that the muscles are trying to find a good position and sort of have trouble at that. so he basically told me not to prevent this from happening. but in my case I am not in any pain while this is happening. it's more of an annoyance than anything for me.
|

replied March 1st, 2009
TMJ
I know my right side does EXACTLY the same thing. If I am laying on my right side my jaw just sort of...falls to the side. I feels like it is "loose". I never had symptoms of TMJ until my orthodontist gave me rubber bands to wear. Should I be worried, and stop wearing the bands because I told my orthodontist about it and he told me to take it easy with the bands but now they are really pulling against my jaw. It is very aggravating.
|

replied August 22nd, 2009
Lockjaw
heya
To the reply of tmjannoyance117, i have been suffering with exactly the same symptoms as you. I wear braces and have recently been given bands to wear on the one side of my brace. As i suffered from lockjaw previously i have found it has made my jaw lock more and be even more painful. I spoke to my doctor and they told me to stop wearing the bands all together as it will only get worse. Hope this helps.
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2009
Experienced User
Dentists don't usually know anything about the jaw joint, so seek help from an oral surgeon or some other actual MD who focuses solely on these issues. If you have jaw joint damage, a splint can make it worse.

Bring your bruxing to end with a medication if you can.
|

replied August 25th, 2009
I have experienced this too over the years. One thing that I found out when they did my MRI several years ago before my surgeries is that the disc on either side can and will pop in and out. When you are finding relief, is when the disc has come back into place.
|