User Profile
i was told my iud is somewhere in my abdomen. what kind of surgery will this require?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 21st, 2010
Menstruation Answer A16239
Welcome to ehealthforum.
The misplaced IUD can be removed by getting laparoscopic surgery or laparotomy (abdominal surgery). If it is still present inside uterus and not outside it, then a hysteroscopy along with removal can be considered.
Discuss about treatment options with your treating gynecologist. The corrective steps would be decided based on the ultrasound and x-ray results.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.