Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

Its very red as big as my hand, are is hot

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
User Profile
i got bitten by what? i have no clue! Its very red as big as my hand, Its very tender and im very sore every time i walk it hurts so bad. I have cold chills at times and hot flashes. the infected are is hot by the touch. I cant see the bite mark. And ive been very tired since the incident.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2011
Insect Bites Answer A25632
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

From the history given it seems that you have had a insect bite.

First and foremost, If the bite had occurred very recently, then the signs of swelling with severe throbbing pain, itching and redness is a form of inflammatory reaction to the insect bite.

To reduce the redness and pain at the site of the bite, application of ice is adequate treatment.

Clean the area with soap and water to remove contaminated particles left behind by some insects. These particles may further contaminate the wound if not removed.

Refrain from scratching because this may cause the skin to break down and an infection to form.

Additional Nonsteroidal pain medications like Naprosen or Ibuprofen will help to reduce the pain and swelling.

You may treat itching at the site of the bite with an over-the-counter antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in cream or pill form. Calamine lotion also helps relieve the itching.

Increasing redness, pus drainage, or streaks up the arm would indicate secondary infection, and would require treatment with antibiotics.

In case the pain is very intolerable, you might consult a doctor or visit the nearest ER for a examination and appropriate treatment.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.