Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

ITP or von willebrand factor with crohn's and ulcerative colitus

My son is ten years old and was just diagnosed with IBD. The hospital called it indetermined IBD as his entire large intestine is covered with ulcers (ulcerative colitus) and part of his small intestine is infected as well (crohn's). My son has also been experiencing low platelets as low as 4 thousand and has had to have two fusions. I was told he has ITP and that are testing for von willebrand factor.

Is it possible that he could of caught IBD from having a blood disorder first? or did he get a blood disorder from having IBD. He is on Imuran.

Is there other things I should be worried about or looking for? He has been having lots of headaches and loss of appetite.

Thankyou, his mommy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is an idiopathic disease, probably involving an immune reaction of the body to its own intestinal tract.

They do not arise from any form of blood related condition.

Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory disease of the large intestine, or colon. In ulcerative colitis, the inner lining (mucosa) of the intestine becomes inflamed (red and swollen) and develops ulcers (open, painful wounds).

Ulcerative colitis is often the most severe in the rectal area, which can cause frequent diarrhea. Mucus and blood often appear in the stool if the lining of the colon is damaged.

ITP is also a condition resulting due to hyper immune conditions. It results due to antibodies produced within the body damaging the platelets resulting in their destruction and hence the very low numbers. But this is a self limiting condition and will resolve soon.

You might consult a immunologist for additional information and treatment.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Crohn's Disease is a chronic disorder that affects digestion. But what is Crohns and how does it affect the body?...
What causes Crohn's disease? Does it run in families (yes)? And how can YOU avoid the risk factors of Crohn's?...
Can you identify symptoms of Crohn's Disease? Learn more about the range of symptoms from mild to severe in this section on Crohn's symptoms here. ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Blood Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.