Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

itchy vagina, red, raw and swollen

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
I have had an itchy vagina around my period time for about 3months but recently lumps of all sizes have appeared in and around my vagina walls and the itching is unbearable. My vagina is red raw lips have swelled and it burns when i go toilet. I am very concerned as it is painfull and embarrasing as i can't help but itch it! Please can someone help me tell me what it is and what treatment i can use? Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2011
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A29836
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is difficult to comment on the symptoms of vaginal itching, redness, swelling and pain without examining you. The exact cause can only be made out after thorough evaluation. Consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for examination and further evaluation (vaginal swab/smear test, skin scraping test if needed). Treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you control your symptoms. If infective cause is detected, and if you are sexually active, get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection. Avoid vaginal douching, use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid use of tight fitting clothes. Consider being in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.