Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

itchy/irritated can it be something bad ?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
Okay so not sure what is going on, but the last couple days i've been quite itchy/irritated 'down stairs'. its pretty full on and is beginning to hurt a bit coz i keep touching it. Im too awkward to go to the doctor about it. Im scared, can it be something bad and how can i make it stop. please help.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2011
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A29205
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Vaginal/vulval itching suggests chances of infections (commonly seen around the time of periods), vaginal dryness (due to hormonal imbalances), skin conditions, etc. The exact cause can only be made out after careful evaluation. Visit your doctor/gynecologist for further examination and investigations to look for the underlying cause. Treatment as appropriate (based on the examination findings and investigation results) would be started to help you control the symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up of your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle. Avoid vaginal douching, use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid use of tight fitting clothes. If infective cause is detected, and if you are sexually active, get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.