Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

it is probably because of the position of your tongue.

tmj
I have had tmj for a while now. it was mainly because i was really stupid and opened my mouth too wide. nothing really happened till recently apart from clicking jaw. i saw my face changing in days. this was happening for 3 months. from puffy cheeks to no chin and everything. what i have come to realize is and hopefully it works for u too. it is probably because of the position of ur tongue. mite sound a bit weird. but this was what it was for me. dont exert pressure from ur tongue to any part inside ur mouth. keep ur tongue really relaxed, also your whole jaw. like keeping all muscles relaxed it mite pain a bit i dont really know, it did a bit for me. the tongue probably in mid air. the correct position, u will figure out yourself. ( ideally the position of the tongue is, JUST ur TIP of the tongue behind ur upper two teeth, on the bone just behind them, its called t point i think. but dont exert any pressure other wise ur cheeks start to puff up. the key thing being keeping ur face the natural way, all the little muscles relaxed with no pressure. hope it helps and u have all the luck possible Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 19th, 2012
Experienced User
Fixing my TMJD with Conscious Tongue Re-positioning
I have found tongue position to be the root cause of my severe jaw pain. The mouth guards, the acupuncture, chiropractic - all of that was no help. I eventually (like after two years of pain!) discovered that my tongue is just a little big for my mouth and one of my teeth naturally lands on my tongue. I curl my tongue to the right naturally and under stress (daily) I will play with that tooth that kind of hangs down. That push pull which is worst under stress spins the jaw to the right mostly. The fix is counter-intuitive for my brain. But IT WORKS. I need to disallow the tip of my tongue from hanging out at my right side teeth - especially the uppers and double especially it can not explore the tooth that hangs down and for whatever reason seems so damned interesting to my tongue. I had it filed down (the back side of tooth #5 I believe) somewhat at last dentist visit and that has helped somewhat as the stabbing of my tongue is less severe. Now I just need to keep the tongue from coiling right like a snake which it seems to want to do. If I keep the tongue pointed at the left corner of my mouth with teeth slightly parted and mouth closed this does the trick. Or i can stick the tip of the tongue out just beyond the front teeth and behind the closed lips (so I don't look too much like an idiot!) And that really gives my jaw a nice relaxation from the bad pain and stress. At my next dental appointment I will ask them to file the inside portion of #5 down as far as they can. If there are any professionals on here that can comment on tongue position and TMJD I would like to hear your comments. It seems to me that professionals dealing with TMJD tend to assume that the pain come from jaw clenching, bruxism. I knew all along this was not the case for me because my pain was always worst in the late afternoon and never in the morning. The morning things always felt their best. I hope this helps somebody!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply