Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Is this Acid Reflux/GERD or something else?

Hey guys, this is gonna be quite the read cause I feel like there's a lot of info that could be important, but could also be pointless, but I don't wanna leave anything out.
So these symptoms have been ruining my life for the better part of 7 months now, and I'm having trouble believing Reflux/GERD is this neglected by physicians when it is a huge problem (if what I have is either of them).

So let me just lay out some history real quick, I used to be addicted to Dr Pepper from the time I was 9 until the time I was 16, when I decided to quit because it was making my acne horrible. I then decided to try coffee, and fell in love and have been drinking it ever since with no issues from the time I was 16 until about June 2018 when I was 20. Now, the first actual symptom, which I'm going to lay out as extreme fatigue (instant- as it comes randomly one second out of no where and strikes hard) actually occurred November 2017, so almost a year ago, when I was working a graveyard shift at my old job. I used buy energy drinks and drink them on my break every day at the same time, when one day I drank one and didn't feel the effect that I usually feel, and actually felt nauseous and super fatigued instantly after taking a bite out of a pop-tart. I chalked this up as me not eating enough prior and doing so on an empty stomach probably made it bad (especially since I'm very lightweight). This was coincidentally about a week after a heavy piece of furniture hit me in the head, so I thought it could also be a concussion symptom, but I couldn't be sure and didn't have medical insurance at the time. Anyway, months passed and I felt fine after that one incident, and went back to drinking caffeine, though redbulls would still make me fatigued quick, but coffee was never an issue, nor was alcohol as I could drink both fine and feel good.

Fast forward to late May/early June, and I started noticing that when I drank coffee or any type of energy drink, I would feel bloated and have a sick butterfly feeling in my stomach, and I also gained a sharp pain in my right eye which is still there to this day and Im taking antiinflammatories to no avail (coincidentally I hit my head really hard AGAIN a week before these symptoms started, but once again, wasn't knowledgeable about concussions at the time, so didn't think much of it, and thinking about it now, would concussion symptoms really last this long?. Now, this is where things picked up fast, as one day it was that, and the next day I drank another one and it was almost like it was hitting my gag reflux as I was drinking it and it felt like something in the right side of my throat was being tickled and triggering a cough like reflux, which got more and more aggressive every time I drank coffee that week, but I was addicted so I didn't wanna just cut coffee out. About a week later, I went to eat at Chik-Fil-A on my lunch break for work, and the second I took a bite out of the sandwich, I had to run to the restroom and coughed about 30 times in 5 minutes and felt like I was going to vomit, but nothing came out, and this persisted for about a week until the point where I actually did begin to vomit after eating food. At this point, I was certain I had either an ulcer, gallstones, diabetes, or some type of issue because whenever these 'episodes' (for lack of a better term) would occur, they would be super sudden and cause vomiting, nausea, loss of concentration, a tickling ringing sensation in the right ear, metallic taste in my mouth and the feeling of a knot, horrible anxiety/panic attacks like I was going to die, and soon noticed every time it happened, my penis would shrink up (not sure what this is caused by, but it was present in all the cases where this happened). Also, I have a constant feeling of butterflies in my stomach and it feels like there's a weight in my stomach at night or after eating sugary foods. Every time I've tried drinking alcohol I feel like I'm going to vomit, and same with most drinks, so I stick to water to be safe.

I did blood work for HPylori, diabetes/regular tests, ultrasounds, MRI's for possible MS, endoscopy surgery(after having black stools earlier in November), and everything turned out normal (slightly elevated cholesterol and bilirubin levels), even the biopsy from the stomach was fine. I was hoping it wasn't acid reflux because every source says it's permanent and I can't imagine living like this for the rest of my life.

I'm at a loss. Is Acid Reflux/GERD really this bad? I've tried Omeprazole and Pepcid and neither seem to help the neutral symptoms, so I stopped taking them because they didn't help when I drank coffee either, so I had to just completely cut coffee out altogether, which I really didn't wanna do, but it seems like the only thing I can do at this point.

Anything you guys can think of? Do you think I'll ever be able to drink coffee again? - oh, this is weird, but sometimes I can drink ice latte's, but just regular ice coffee seems to always give me issues. I'm still trying to understand this.

Other issues I left out or things that could potentially be related: Stools change almost daily (Sometimes they're little dark brown balls that come out, sometimes they have a sickly green almost bacteria looking coating, sometimes they look dry and very dark, and 2 times they've been black), Random groin pain, balls feel heavy at times and way more sensitive than ever before, veins feel super stiff, brain fog, feeling of being winded in stomach random throughout the day, itchy/sticky skin (feels like there's no grip - used to take accutane so possible side effect from that), took doxycycline around the time these symptoms popped up, but stopped almost immediately, skin pores smell like whatever I eat (I feel weird for even putting this one, but it's a strange thing thats been going on for about a year), skin feels staticy almost like my clothes stick to it after wash or bedsheets (I've tried many diff detergents), lightheadedness, burping a lot and pills get stuck in throat and I can taste the smell of them

Triggers: Going a long time without eating, drinking coffee/energy drinks then eating after (or not eating, then drinking these), alcohol, famous amos chocolate chip cookies, jelly, soda, cake, whey protein.
Peanut butter seems to help a little.
I was already only 130 pounds before this happened (5'11 and male, so already underweight), and now I've lost 15 pounds and trying to recover (I've tried cutting out fast food, but it's hard sometimes when you work 8 hour shifts and have only 30 minutes to eat, and don't cook). Any advice would be great.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper whatgives123
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...