Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

is the hard lump on the back of my leg a Blood clot?

i have a 3x3 hard lump on the back of my lower left leg which is very painful to touch. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a large bruised area there. I don't know how I got it. Now the bruising is mostly gone but the area is now hard an very painful.Any ideas anyone?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Beams,

It is not uncommon after a large hematoma (bruise) for there to be a lump left after the discoloration has resolved. The tissues have some fibrous tissue in them, and it takes a while for the body to break down with fibrous tissue. And in some cases a really significant hematomas, a little of the fibrous tissue can be there forever, but in most cases it also resolves with time.

A thrombosis in a vein, usually feels like a rubbery cord (sort of like a "gummy worm"), rather than a large broad lump.

You can try warm compresses to see if that will help speed up the resolution of the firm area. Some patients use some compression (ace wrap or neoprene sleeve) also, but don't place it so tightly, as to cut off the circulation. If you can take them, antiinflammatory medicines sometimes will help breakdown the fibrous tissue.

If the area does not get better shortly or you develop other symptoms, you might want to see your physician. Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: touch, lump, back leg
Quick Reply