Medical Questions > Mens Health > Testicles Forum

Is testes atrophy permanent

I was on Androgel, testopels, and cyclo something injections for 5 years for secondary hypogonadism and testicles are down to around 9-10 cm in volume. Is this going to be permanent likely? My endocrinologist said he couldn't really say for sure, but is there a way to know if there will be at least partial recovery or will my testicles be permanently atrophied from this point onward? Is it even possible to tell with any level of certainty?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 1st, 2018
Experienced User
Most likely it will be permanent since your testicles have not been producing testosterone for you all those years. The sperm production and testosterone production inside your balls is probably very low or non functioning by now.

Have you had a semen analysis and sperm count to see if your balls are still making any sperm ? If you are still making new sperm inside of your testicles, they might recover and start working more in the future. But if you have zero sperm production, your balls are likely turned off forever.

The pituitary gland in your brain regulates sperm and testosterone production inside your balls. If you take artificial testosterone with perfectly healthy balls, the pituitary gland detects the artificial testosterone in your blood circulation and turns off your balls testosterone production if your testosterone level goes higher than your body is programmed to have. Each man is programmed diffetently. The sperm production gets turned off along with the testosterone production. This will cause the testis to shrink in size with less activity going on inside each ball.

If the artificial testosterone (T) is stopped, the lack of T in your blood can be detected by your pituitary gland and trigger your balls to start producing T and sperm again.

But if your balls were already not making enough T that you needed to start taking artificial T to stay masculine and virile years ago, then its unlikely that cause of low or no T production has gone away now. If your balls were not working before, they probably don t work now. If you stopped the artificial T, you would likely not get any or enough from your balls to stay masculine, healthy, and virile.
|
Users who thank 4538horseguy for this post: Brandon627 

replied October 2nd, 2018
I haven't been on synthetic T in over 4 months and my testicles aren't any bigger and have not regained size at all. I think I have killed the cells in the region.
|

replied October 6th, 2018
Experienced User
Balls can take a long time to recover and heal up. My balls almost got castrated by testicular torsion that started years ago. My balls hardly functioned for many months after some extra bad torsions nearly killed them. My testosterone levels took a dive way down. So much that my pecs and nipples got gynocomastia and started to hurt and grow like a girl starting puberty has her nipples grow. That was terrible ! My chest hair blowing in the wind hurt my nips just from touching on my nipples from it getting so sore. Drs took mamagrams of my pecs to make sure it wasn t breast cancer. It was proven to be gynocomastia in the xrays. I was so castrated my hormones were all screwed up ! Drs said nothing they could do except see if my balls would live and heal up enough to start making testosterone again. They said me taking artificial testosterone might kill my balls by turning them off permanently in their weak condition.

After about 6 months of being a eunuch, my balls started working part way. But not nearly as much as before my torsions. My sperm count was huge and extra healthy then. But my testosterone production stayed much lower than before the torsions. My balls started shrinking smaller. I lost a lot of my extra hairy male body hair, especially from the thick fur I had before in my armpits and my crotch.
|
Tags: Recovery
Quick Reply
Must Read
Mumps is still common in many parts of the world. But what is the mumps? And what parts of the body can it affect? Basic facts on mumps here....
Although children are most at risk of getting the mumps, other groups are also at risk. Learn more about the mumps virus and risk factors for mumps here....
Swollen salivary glands are the first sign that you might have the mumps. But what other symptoms can you identify? And when should you seek medical help?...