Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Is nausea a sign or symptom of anxiety?

I've been suffering with daily nausea since December. It mostly happens at night. I feel restless I can never fall asleep at a decent hour ( normally around 2-3 am). I'm constantly nauseous. I have three small kids so they are up pretty early. I just always feel run down. I never feel fully rested. I'm currently having test done to rule out my gallbladder. Just looking for answer to this daily nausea!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper BeIrie
|

replied March 31st, 2012
The nausea may be a symptom of sleep deprivation?

If you're not getting to sleep until 2-3 am and children are getting you up very early, I'm guessing between 6-7am (I have one child and he was an early riser) then you're not getting enough sleep.

There will be a reason for your insomnia. It may be post natal depression? If you're feeling sad and have three young children you may need some help.

I had severe sleep deprivation and post natal depression for a long time after my son was born. It took me over 2 years to admit I had a problem because I was so focussed on doing parenting right. But I was not coping.

It turned out I had an inactive thyroid. I took natural thyroid supplements and my energy started to return. Then I began to look at the cause of my depression and solve that. Then I could sleep and all my other symptoms disappeared.

I'm not suggesting it's your thyroid, but the combination in your post of your username (sad girl), sleeplessness, feeling run down and having three small children is all pointing to the possibility of post natal depression.

Dealing with only one symptom, the nausea, may not work if there is a bigger underlying problem.

You need sleep to stay healthy, to be able to look after your children. To do that you need to find out why you are sad and why you have trouble falling asleep.

You may want to try taking St Johns Wort. This helped my depression and it also promotes sleep. When I have bad insomnia I take herbal Kava to fall asleep.

Consider a counsellor or therapist if you think your problem could be depression. This should help.

Ensuring you have the best diet you can have, avoiding caffiene and processed sugars, eating fresh vegetables, fruit and meat may help improve health and mood.

Ginger tea is great for nausea too. Peppermint is great for nausea, either as a tea or a scented oil or candle. But this is only treating a symptom, not the cause, so it will not cure the problem.

Good luck!
|
Users who thank BeIrie for this post: Sad_Girl88 

replied March 31st, 2012

If you're not getting to sleep until 2-3 am and children are getting you up very early, I'm guessing between 6-7am (I have one child and he was an early riser) then you're not getting enough sleep.

There will be a reason for your insomnia. It may be post natal depression? If you're feeling sad and have three young children you may need some help.

I had severe sleep deprivation and post natal depression for a long time after my son was born. It took me over 2 years to admit I had a problem because I was so focussed on doing parenting right. But I was not coping.

It turned out I had an inactive thyroid. I took natural thyroid supplements and my energy started to return. Then I began to look at the cause of my depression and solve that. Then I could sleep and all my other symptoms disappeared.

I'm not suggesting it's your thyroid, but the combination in your post of your username (sad girl), sleeplessness, feeling run down and having three small children is all pointing to the possibility of post natal depression.

Dealing with only one symptom, the nausea, may not work if there is a bigger underlying problem.

You need sleep to stay healthy, to be able to look after your children. To do that you need to find out why you are sad and why you have trouble falling asleep.

You may want to try taking St Johns Wort. This helped my depression and it also promotes sleep. When I have bad insomnia I take herbal Kava to fall asleep.

Consider a counsellor or therapist if you think your problem could be depression. This should help.

Ensuring you have the best diet you can have, avoiding caffiene and processed sugars, eating fresh vegetables, fruit and meat may help improve health and mood.

Ginger tea is great for nausea too. Peppermint is great for nausea, either as a tea or a scented oil or candle. But this is only treating a symptom, not the cause, so it will not cure the problem.

Good luck!
|

replied April 1st, 2012
BeIrie wrote:

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your advice. I will look into everything that you suggested. I have been feeling a bit down lately. I really don't know if I'm depressed or not but I will look into some help ASAP. I know these sleepless nights are only making my problem worse! Thanks again!
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...