Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Is mild frontal atrophy related to depression?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
User Profile
My PCP sent me to a neurologist to address my frequent (at least weekly) migraine headaches and occasional hand tremors. During the exam, I was sent for a head CT scan.

The radiologist reported the following:

"mild frontal atrophy for age, widening of the sulci"

I have had symptoms of depression, 'foggy' thinking and severe fatigue for the past three years. I have an ANA of 1:640 (as of last week), although previous tests a year ago did not detect specific autoimmune antibodies.

My neurologist told me not to worry about this finding of atrophy. I can't help but wonder if my symptoms are related to this CT result. Is mild frontal atrophy related to depression? autoimmune disease? Is it something to be concerned about?

Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2010
Neurological Disorders Answer A17343

Welcome to the forum and I am glad to help you out. The mild frontal lobe atrophy which has been detected on the CT scan has got nothing to do with the autoimmune disease or depression and is commonly due to age related degenerative changes in the brain. This should not be a cause of concern.

However, the cause of the elevation in the ANA needs to be looked into. SLE is one of the commonest diseases which can give rise to this problem. The treatment will depend upon the diagnosis. Please consult a rheumatologist for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.