Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Is it time to give up contraception?

I have been using contraception to control my periods since I was 15. The combi pill for 4 years and the implant for the last 3 years. I was put on it because my periods were incredibly heavy and irregular. But I'm getting to a point where I feel I've messed with my horomones for long enough and should give my body a rest. I've tried discussing it with doctors but they want to limit my risk of pregnancy and don't seem too bothered about my opinon. So I guess my question is should I give my body a rest? Because I can always start contraception again if I'm as bad as I used to.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 25th, 2017
Community Volunteer
The medical consensus about "taking a break" changed significantly over the last 10 years. Doctors now believe it is not needed with the modern birth control, and short breaks can even put your body under unneccisary stress.

However, it is your body and your decision. If you want to stop, stop. It is not going to do anything bad. You may find that your new cycle and menstruation is significantly different than it was 7 years ago. That can be different better or different worse. Only time can tell.

You are 22 and an adult woman. You can surely make your own decision and protect yourself from pregnancy. You do not need a doctor's permission to do that.

Take care
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...