Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Is it possible to repress memories?

Long story short, when I was 9 years old I was hospitalized with anorexia, and battled an eating disorder and depression for the next 7 years (I still deal with it now but manage it healthily). Therapists a while back brought up the idea of previous trauma but I didn't remember anything. We never understood the cause and doctors just vaguely guessed environment, society, and genetics. Another weird thing is I've never dated (I'm 21) and am terrified by the idea of getting close with a guy. A few days ago I was sexually harassed. I wasn't physically hurt but it really affected me. Since then I've been having panic attacks and constant thoughts about it. So I'm wondering if it could be possible to repress previous trauma? I don't remember anything but I'm trying to understand why I'm so affected by this. Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 3rd, 2015
Active User, very eHealthy
Runner,
I cannot directly answer your question, but reading this i'm just reminded of the beautiful verse that have worked for many others: Forgetting the past, i run straight toward the goal... Philippians 3.13,14.
|

replied November 4th, 2015
Hi, I definitely agree that something is being repressed but it may not be memories. I think more of the problem lies in stress and anxiety of your hidden wants. I used to be very extroverted and social and ever since I got cheated on, I became to myself and not very eccentric. The problem is, what we have repressed is our mentality and way of thought///perspective of the world. Instead of thinking toward the future and mapping what we are going to be doing (which will allow us to step forward in to new doors) we begin to function like a hamster getting on its wheel and continue running the same thoughts from our past which just drive us down the road toward anxiety, depression, loss of touch etc.
To give you good advice, I don't think you should avoid dating but look at it with a positive eye, use it as a learning experience but not in the physical sense. Practice the way you want to be or see yourself happy by interacting with people every day and sculpting someone better then those who hurt you. The best way to show victory is by moving on and not thinking about those that tried to harm you any longer.
Suppression of trauma may be possible but it is so dependent and different for person to person that it may be more effective for you to simply learn from this and have the idea in your head for how you want a next encounter to play toward your likings. Don't please anyone but yourself.

Best of luck.
|

replied November 4th, 2015
Hi, I definitely agree that something is being repressed but it may not be memories. I think more of the problem lies in stress and anxiety of your hidden wants. I used to be very extroverted and social and ever since I got cheated on, I became to myself and not very eccentric. The problem is, what we have repressed is our mentality and way of thought///perspective of the world. Instead of thinking toward the future and mapping what we are going to be doing (which will allow us to step forward in to new doors) we begin to function like a hamster getting on its wheel and continue running the same thoughts from our past which just drive us down the road toward anxiety, depression, loss of touch etc.
To give you good advice, I don't think you should avoid dating but look at it with a positive eye, use it as a learning experience but not in the physical sense. Practice the way you want to be or see yourself happy by interacting with people every day and sculpting someone better then those who hurt you. The best way to show victory is by moving on and not thinking about those that tried to harm you any longer.
Suppression of trauma may be possible but it is so dependent and different for person to person that it may be more effective for you to simply learn from this and have the idea in your head for how you want a next encounter to play toward your likings. Don't please anyone but yourself.

Best of luck.
|

replied February 6th, 2016
Yes repressed memories are real. I had one of a past abuse. I've always thought my abuse started when I was 9 but I had a repress memory come back and it showed me that my abuse started at the age of 4 or 5. So I would say to u, go see a therapist because having that much anxiety about someone touching u isn't normal. Human being usually want and need affection. God bless
|
Tags: Depression
Quick Reply
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....