Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Is it possible to have more than one mental health disorders?

If you already have depression, is it possible to have more than one mental health disorders like bipolar or/and PMS?

I have depression but i feel its more like bipolar as i feel i go from one extreme to the next as fast as the flick of a switch. I have also noticed that around my menstrual cycle i become very violent and aggressive. It seems that my behavior around this menstrual cycle has been very erratic, going from as high as a kite-getting into physical fights at home-wanting to just die.

I know that something is wrong I hope someone can understand. I really need some advice or /and knowledge. I really hate feeling like this!!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 16th, 2012
it is very very possible to have more than 1 mental health disorder, in my case i have bi-polar and multiple personality disorder (controlled by drugs and concilling over many years) bipolar/depression can get alot worse around the menstral cylce as that is when your hormones are at there peak and alot of the time mental health conditions are caused either by chemical imbalances which mixed together with hightened hormones can make it worse, i suggest consulting your doctor to tell them that this has got worse around this time, there should be something you may be able to do, i hope it all gets better soon
|

replied May 16th, 2012
i know this is an older post, but anyways....yes very possible. i have a few under my belt. when psychiatrist evaluate patients they assess and diagnose and put the disorders on different axis'. which i dont understand the importance of this... i guess only other professionals understand that stuff. and ppl throw around the term pms too much. not every female has pms before their cycle. it is a syndrome. and i do the same thing as you sort of described. that seems to be when i get the most volatile and i am a recovering cutter...so once the docs recognize the pattern they can properly help or medicate u. good luck.
|
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....