Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Is it possible to have cancer only show in bonemarrow?

User Profile
I have been seeing an oncologist for just over a year now, actually on my fourth one. I have extreme bone pain in my right leg, it started in the shin about two years ago and is now in the whole right leg, the collarbone and in my hands. I have swollen lymphnodes on both sides of my body in the neck, armpits, and groin that are not caused by infection or virus. I have fatigue, unexplained weightloss and gain, nightsweats that are increasingly worse, easy bleeding and bruising, nosebleeds. I have been tested for everything that can cause these symptoms,like diabetes, thyroid, athritis, RA, fibromyalsia,etc, with all negative results. I had a lymphnode biopsy that only showed my ACE to be elevated and all my CBC's come back within normal. At my most recent drs appointment my doctor said he had ran all the tests he could and wanted me to have a psyc eval. I pointed out that noone has ran a bone marrow biopsy. Is it possible to have cancer and it only show in the bonemarrow?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2012
Cancers Answer A34240
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is possible that early stages of cancer show only in bone marrow biopsy. However, since there is family history of cancer, getting tumor marker test done would help to identify if you are at risk of developing cancer, or are having cancer. Consider getting a bone marrow biopsy along with tumor marker test done. Bone scan, CT scan, PET scan, or MRI are also helpful for diagnosis. Having high or elevated levels of blood calcium or alkaline phosphatase should also raise suspicion of bone cancer. Presence of N-telopeptide in urine is also suggestive of bone damage (released due to bone damage). Discuss about getting these done with your treating oncologist or take a second opinion.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.