Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

Is it possible to have breast cancer?

I have discovered couple of days ago a strange thing in my left breast. Lump maybe...
I haven't told anyone yet, cause I'm freaking out a little and don't want to scare my family.
Checked couple of times a day and is still there. Should I see a doctor?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2012
Experienced User
Yes you must have to see your doctor. If you are sure that it is really a lump and If you are feeling like a size of pea then you must get your breast screened and should undergo a mammogram.
Wish you good luck and do share what comes after result. I hope their will be good news and their is nothing serious.
|
Users who thank alleyjames for this post: Lorela1 

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2012
Experienced User
Lorela1
Hi. I would definitely get a mammogram done because you need to find out exactly what it is. It may be cyst, a benign or cancerous lump but you will not know unless you get tested. Please do not wait...if it is cancer like mine was, you want to catch it early. If it is caught early & removed, the outcome is much better. My best advice is not to get too worried until you know more info. I have tortured myself in the past worried about a test result to find out all was o.k. If I could have spared myself the stress & not got too worked up before I got answers, it would have been better.
It is all about how you decide to look at this situation & how you want to go through it. I know that is harder than it sounds, but a positive attitude goes a long way. Assume the best case scenario. (If your leg was hurting, you wouldn't automatically assume you had bone cancer or a broken bone. You'd get an Xray & go from there. Maybe its a sprain & not worth the worry). A mammogram is really not as bad as it seems. A little discomfort is worth having good medical information. My very best wishes for you and I hope we hear back that you had good results. Remember it is not always cancer but important to get tested. Also, if you cannot afford a mammogram, talk to the hospital, cancer center or imaging center. There are programs available to help with the cost & some that will pay the whole bill. Do not let cost prevent you from getting it done as soon as you can. There may be some resources online as well.
|
Users who thank CharlieJane for this post: Lorela1 

replied December 7th, 2012
Last week went with my mom to a private clinic in London. She was too worried after I told her about my 'discovery'. After a very detailed consultation and examination, my doctor gave me an urgent referral to have an ultrasound. Mammo would have been advised if the ultrasound would have found something suspicious. But fortunately is just a benign lump. Such a relief! But they advised me to have a check every 6 months to keep the lump under eye in case it gets bigger. This is the place I went. It's a private clinic in central London, and they have been amazing with me.
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2012
Experienced User
Lorela1 So great to hear the good news!!!! And good for you that you took care of it right away and also that you took your own health into your own hands. I'm sure you are relieved the stress is over. I would also encourage you to do your follow-ups, but not to worry if they are just routine. I know it wasn't easy to deal with, but you are a great example to the many other women who worry about a lump and are not sure what to do. Taking care of it right away is always the way to go, better safe than sorry. Proud of you for having courage. Best wishes.
|
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....