Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

is it possible that the doctor was able to tell with US

User Profile
I received my results from a pelvic (transabdominal & endovaginal) ultrasound. In the conclusion, the doctor stated "Complex mass in the left ovary measuring 3 cm. This contains cystic and solid components. The differential includes benign and malignant lesions." My question is, since I know that ultrasound can be very very detailed now, is it truly possible that the doctor was able to tell that the mass is at least partially malignant, or was that an "irresponsible" or incorrect way to phrase it because you cannot tell for FACT if a mass has malignancy by ultrasound alone? If he stated malignant, does that in fact mean that he likely spotted an area that shows signs of definite malignancy? I do have a follow up appt. with a OBGYN/ONC, however they can't get me in for over a week, and of course its making me nuts. If in fact it is likely malignant, fine, I'd just like to know. Not knowing is maddening! Thank you for your help..

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2012
Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Answer A35719
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

I can understand your concern for the possibility of ovarian malignancy. However transabdominal or transvaginal ultrasound is the first investigation for ovarian malignancy. Apart from that serum CA125 which is a tumor marker can also be done.

The diagnosis must be confirmed with surgery to inspect the abdominal cavity, take biopsies (tissue samples for microscopic analysis) and look for cancer cells in the abdominal fluid.

My sincere advice is to consult a gynecologist and get these tests done.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Cervical cancer typically develops over many years. But when does cervical cancer occur and how do doctors define the disease? ...
How are HPV and cervical cancer related? And how can you place yourself out of risk for developing cervical cancer? More here....
Abnormal menstruation can be a sign of cervical cancer. Learn the signs and symptoms of serious "female problems" and when to seek medical help here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.