Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

Is it okay to switch GP's?

I am a 24 year old female. I recently graduated from college and have been at a very demanding job for 9 months. I was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age but my parents were against medication. Now I am on my own health insurance plan and I sought out a doctor. I visited a General Practitioner in my area and explained what was wrong. She prescribed 10mg adderall and told me to take 1-2 if it wasnt enough. I started slow but found out I needed 3-4 a day to stay focused and alert. I went back 2 weeks later and told her it was helping just not enough. I also mentioned it boosted my mood and then she told me she wanted me on prozac. I rejected. She prescribed 30mg vyvanse but I am afraid that is not enough either. She is very rude and does not listen to me. Would I be able to go to a different doctor and voice my concerns?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Use of non stimulants along with stimulants would be wise. Accept prozan. Also follow up with psychotherapists for cognitive behavioural therapies for better outcome.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ADD and ADHD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.