Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Parkinson Disease Forum

is it just co-incidence that she developed Parkinson's ?

User Profile
Last year my Mother-in-law (MIL) developed a tooth decay for which we visited a dentist. She gave local anaesthesia and since it dint seem to take effect, she gave one more injection within a duration of 10 minutes. After that the tooth was removed and my MIL claimed of a slight numbness of the tongue where the injection was administered for more than a week. Soon, she started talking with a slur and also soon claimed of a difficulty in swallowing. We checked with ENT and also with a neurologist and took a MRI and came with a 'no problem' report. One doctor diagnosed this as a beginning of Parkinson's and she started taking medicines for this. Now, her speech is very unclear and she claims lot of drooling. I want to know whether this could be because of the local anaesthesia given twice or is it just co-incidence that she developed Parkinson's at the same time? she does not have any other problem other than the slur and drooling. could wrong administration of local an

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2014
Parkinson Disease Answer A45637
Hello, thank you for your question. Dental anaesthesia has nothing to do with the symptoms. Parkinson's is not likely either. I am very concerned about possibility of progressive bulbar palsy. Less likely is myasthenia gravis or some other muscle disease. The major concern is choking with food. Pure diet causes the least choking. Please consult a neurologist. By Andre Strizhak

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
1/2 million Americans are diagnosed with Parkinsons. Click here for basic information and a definition of Parkinson Disease, a movement disorder of the brain. ...
Do doctors know what causes Parkinson's Disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? More info on risk factors here....
We outline the common symptoms of Parkinsons and list the types of movement disorders that accompany the disease. Plus, know when to seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Parkinson Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.