Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Is it anxiety or is food stuck in my throat?

So I take 70mg of Prozac for my OCD, GAD, and panic disorder. Over the past few weeks my anxiety has come back! I'm am so upset over it. But the main thing is that about a week ago I was eating some fried potatoe aka a tator tot (i think) and after I ate it, it felt as though it was caught in the top of my throat. I'm not sure if it scratched my throat or not but it scared me so much that I had a panic attack in my dorm then threw up, which made me worry more. After hours of being to afraid to sleep, I eventually fell asleep. The next day the lump was gone but my anxiety was back and so was my depression.

Months ago I had problems with my throat and swallowing and went to the doctor and he said it was GERD. It got better after but now months later, my stomach sometimes burns, I get nauseous sometimes, I regurgitate acid or something then re swallow it and so on. I don't know if this is the cause or what.

I am now home and now either my throat will feel super tight at random times or when I eat it feels like food is stuck (like right now, a few hours after eating dinner). I have had trouble swallowing in general, it does not feel like I am swallowing correctly at all and feels weird. I have eaten very little for the past few days. I know it is sometimes anxiety but the sensations in my throat feel different sometimes which scares me. I am too afraid to sleep due to the fear that the food will come back up my throat and I'll choke on it or something. Please help me, I have no idea what to do.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2015
I know what you feel. When I was younger I have that 'stuck in my throat' too. For me solution was a psychologists teraphy and more socialiation with other people, but every case is individual, so you have to check that on your own.
|

replied March 24th, 2015
Experienced User
I am very sorry for you. Did you take medicine by your doctor's suggestion? If no then first visit any doctor and start treatments and therapies for anxiety disorder. Do yoga and meditation regularly.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...