Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Is he right that it couldn't re-rupture?

User Profile
I am a 54 year old female that had an inguinal hernia repaired with mesh 15 months ago. About 6 or 7 weeks ago I lifted 60 pounds and felt a sharp pain in the inguinal area. I saw the DR today, the surgeon who did the repair, and he said that because he used mesh it could not have torn. He told me to not lift anything heavy for 4 weeks and the pain should go away. I think I re-injured the hernia as it's the same pains as before and no pain until I lifted. What should I do now? Is he right that it couldn't re-rupture? He also said because I was female it was even more unlikely. Please advise.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2011
Hernia Answer A23762
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

According to the symptoms reported by you it seems that the pain is due to lifting heavy weight only.The pain if ruptured would have been more severe and also it is uncommon for the mesh to torn.
Wait for a week and see if there are any changes in the pain.If the pain worsens or there is no change consider taking a second opinion from another Physician after evaluation.Do not lift any heavy things.

Take Care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.