Medical Questions > Parenting > Adoption Forum

Is adoption right for me?

Would you ever consider adopting a child, ONLY because you can't conceive? So basically...as a second choice? Why or why not? I’ve been considering this for a while now, but I feel guilty that deep down inside I want to have my own children. Since I'm unable to conceive with my husband, we've opted to adopted as an alternative.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Emitefil
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2009
Supporter
I dont think you should be guilty. There are so many adorable and unfortunate children out there that would love to have a home. And I think once you go through with the adoption and see your new son/daughter your mind will totally change. I have always said when I was younger than I wanted to adopt, and I think its something that really makes a huge change in your life and makes you see things differently. I hope all works out...good luck:)
|

replied February 19th, 2009
thank you!
thank you! I guess I also just need some more information or insight into the whole foster care and adoption world. If anyone has any first hand experience with the process orabout the system it would be greatly appreciated =)
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2009
YES!
I would definitely adopt a child. There are too many children out there that aren’t lucky enough to have their parents raise them. They get stuck in foster homes..which may turn out for the better and other times for the worse. Kids get abused all the time. If I had the financial security, I would definitely bring a child into my home.
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2009
Movie
This is a very touchy subject for most people. It is always a good option to adopt. I’ve heard terrible stories about kids in foster homes and it just brings me to tears. There’s actually a movie I’ve seen commercials for recently about the American foster care system with Rosie O’Donnell.
|

replied March 1st, 2009
Thanks for the post about the movie, I saw it last night and overall I thought it was pretty good. I'm suprised noone has made a movie like this yet...it's such an important issue. Anyone else see it?
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
Hey, i just came across your post.
You have absolutely no reason to feel guilty for wanting your own children. My mother was unable to conceive again after me (she was remarried). She and my stepfather tried various forms of infertility treatment for almost 2 years, but eventually had to accept that they would not have another child biologically. They became foster parents and have since adopted three children. We had all of them from birth... picked them up at the hospital as a matter of fact.
It doesn't matter how you came to choose adoption or that it wasn't your first choice. What matters is that you're considering it at all. I've been around the system for a long time and i know what they go through. The number of children needing homes is staggering. And do not be put off by the misconception that it takes years to get a baby (if you want a baby). My parents picked up their first baby just 4 months after becoming foster parents. Granted she was premature and drug addicted now she is a beautiful and extremely intelligent girl. If you keep your heart open you'll find the perfect child for you.
I'm sorry this is so long. i just feel the need to help people who are going through (or considering going through) the process of adoption. I'd be glad to try to answer any questions you might have btw.
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2009
Hi Emitefil,

I know this post started a while back and I was just wondering if you had been taking any steps towards adoption or have you changed your mind? I guess I just wanted to check on your progress. I am a birth mother and my son is 5 this winter(wow!). I'd love to answer any questions you might have. Take care!
|

replied November 18th, 2012
I gave my Son up for adoption in 1976. I really did not want to do it but at 16 my father said I had to. But I can say now it was the best thing I could have done. I admire the people that adopt someones child that they know nothing about but yet they love them the same as they were their own and give them what I could never have gave him at 16. He and I were reunited in June 2002 and its amazing that he in my life and I have a daughter in law and 5 Grandchildren now. I know some people worry about that aspect of adoption as well. But his mother that raised him still thanks me for a child and I respect the fact that she raised him and she is him Mom I am his birth mother. Her and I get along very well. But how ever it works out it is a blessing for both parties. The baby gets a loving home that really wants the baby and the birth mother has the knowledge that her child is loved and taken care of. So I say yes to adopton for sure.
|

replied November 5th, 2013
I think it is wise thinking Emitefil. You definitely have decided something very greatly. I also adopted child and it is quite easy. I will suggest you that before adopt please visit some adoption related websites. and I think you will get huge guidelines. Have a great day and God bless you.
|

replied November 8th, 2013
My wife and I used to think about adopting a child, we really wanted to make a change in the world. It turns out that this is very difficult.... It seems almost impossible, and you have to wait a couple of years until you succeed. Do you think that the application process should be so complicated? Isn't it discouraging for all those people who would like to help some child and take it home? Thanks
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2015
Adopting a child is a best thing you ever do for those foster children.
|