Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Is a tumor the most probable cause of kidney lesions?

User Profile
I have had a recurrent pain since December 2012 on the left side of my back, so my family MD asked me for a full abdominal ultrasound, which showed a 3.4 cm rounded isoechoic lesion. Based on this my urologist have ruled out stones or cysts, since he tells me it's soft tissue. The probable diagnostic is either a benign or malign tumor, but he still needs at least a CT and urine+serum calcium analysis to discard microscopic hematuria or common tumoral symptoms before doing a biopsy. My weight has remained the same since 2010, and I have not had fatigue. My question is: is a tumor the most probable cause of isoechoic lesions in kidneys?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2013
Cancers Answer A42208
Welcome to e health forum.

The simple answer to your question, is Yes.

Isoechoic lesions are radiological description of lesions (tumors or structures) which have the same radiodensity as the surrounding anatomical structures.

In this case, the organ is namely the Kidney.

Isoechoic lesions (as seen on the ultrasound) that originate from the kidney can include
- benign tumors of the kidney tissue - eg. Renal fibroma, Nephroma, metanephric adenoma.
- angiomyolipomas (benign tumors composed of blood vessels, muscles and fat tissue),
- complex renal cysts,
- Renal cell carcinoma (Malignant renal tumors).

But a ultrasound is only a initial imaging modality used since it is inexpensive (comparatively) and there is no exposure to radiation. But it does not give complete anatomic details and has low diagnostic ability compared to modalities like CT or a MRI.

Hence it would be very helpful to make a clear diagnosis in your case, by undergoing a CT scan, as previously mentioned by your doctor.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.