Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Is a medical abortion as bad as they say?

I am 18 years old and I am currently four weeks pregnant referring back to my last period. I have decided to have a medical abortion because I am scared of having a surgical one. My sister had one and described it as very painful. Although I would much rather have a short and not so painful experience, I understand that more than likely won't happen. The personal experiences I have read on the web have scared the crap out of me. I find myself stressing everyday and I have called my clinic three times to discuss the process with them. They are super friendly and definitely show care towards their patients, but i'm worried most that they are just trying to 'sell' the product, again mostly because of the posts I have read. I have experienced a full miscarriage on my own, I was scared to have a D&C performed so I dealt with as much pain as possible until it was REALLY bad. And I drove myself to the hospital only to be told I had passed the child fully. I was almost six weeks at that time. But circumstances were a tad different. I was bleeding during my pregnancy and the ultra-sound and the hospital had shown that instead of the cells forming around the baby, they were shredding apart. I was having my blood drawn every other day, and blood work was fine, until one day they drastically dropped. That was when the lab called to say I should be expecting a miscarriage. I will be taking one Mifeprex by mouth and four Misoprostol vaginally 48 hours later. I will take the first tablet tomorrow at the clinic and insert the other four Saturday at home. Has anyone done this? Please share your experiences with me. Any good outcomes?? I NEED IT! I'm scared to death. Crying or Very sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper triceratops
|

replied February 23rd, 2011
I had a medical abortion on 02/18/11, and while the cramps were very painful at the time, they only lasted a few hours, and some women experience pain no worse than a very heavy period. The reason that I chose medical rather than surgical abortion is because it is less invasive, there is less chance of damage to the uterus and a lower incidence of infection if proper aftercare is observed. Especially considering how young you are, you may want to choose a medical for these reasons as well, since you may want to have children in the future.
|

replied March 12th, 2011
My experience with having a medical abortion
I recently had a medical abortion and would like to share my experience- hopefully to help enlighten those that might adventurously very soon have to go down this road. It can seem very scary especially when reading all the material out there. But this is just one persons combat.

I took the first pill in the Dr. office on a Thur. around 1pm - I was informed I could take the second round of pills 24 -48 hours later. They also gave me a prescriptions for antibiotics, Phenergan (anti nausea meds), and Vicodin (strong pain killers). The next day I met with my therapist at 2pm just to talk some things over. It's a good idea to have someone to talk to during this process. Then at 3pm I checked myself into a nice hotel (I have a roommate and a son at home and with this being such a personal situation - I wanted to be alone.) At 3:15 PM I took the anti nausea meds as prescribed - thirty min following I took the second set of pills called Misoprostol. I was instructed to put two pill in each side of my mouth in between my gums and cheeks. They stayed in that position for 30 min. dissolving. After 30 min I was able to sallow them. At this time I went ahead and took a pain killer, even though I had not started to cramp yet, I wanted to be prepared for what was to come. It was a long wait but around 9pm (roughly 5 hours after I had taken the Misoprostol) I started to bleed and started getting period like cramps but very quickly I started to severely cramp that would come in waves. About 30 min. later I passed a very large clot followed by a few smaller ones. But once the clots passed my cramps eased up and I was able to control the pain with the Vicodin and ibuprofen through out the rest of the evening. I was able to fall asleep a few hours after that and woke up the next morning feeling OK. I wasn't ready to run any miles but It just felt like a normal period day.
Anyways that was my experience and I'm sorry if it was too graphic but with this topic their is no real way to sugar coat it. Just please make sure you finish ALL of your antibiotics or you could be at rick of infection.
|

replied March 12th, 2011
I recently had a medical abortion and would like to share my experience- hopefully to help enlighten those that might adventurously very soon have to go down this road. It can seem very scary especially when reading all the material out there. But this is just one persons combat.

I took the first pill in the Dr. office on a Thur. around 1pm - I was informed I could take the second round of pills 24 -48 hours later. They also gave me a prescriptions for antibiotics, Phenergan (anti nausea meds), and Vicodin (strong pain killers). The next day I met with my therapist at 2pm just to talk some things over. It's a good idea to have someone to talk to during this process. Then at 3pm I checked myself into a nice hotel (I have a roommate and a son at home and with this being such a personal situation - I wanted to be alone.) At 3:15 PM I took the anti nausea meds as prescribed - thirty min following I took the second set of pills called Misoprostol. I was instructed to put two pill in each side of my mouth in between my gums and cheeks. They stayed in that position for 30 min. dissolving. After 30 min I was able to sallow them. At this time I went ahead and took a pain killer, even though I had not started to cramp yet, I wanted to be prepared for what was to come. It was a long wait but around 9pm (roughly 5 hours after I had taken the Misoprostol) I started to bleed and started getting period like cramps but very quickly I started to severely cramp that would come in waves. About 30 min. later I passed a very large clot followed by a few smaller ones. But once the clots passed my cramps eased up and I was able to control the pain with the Vicodin and ibuprofen through out the rest of the evening. I was able to fall asleep a few hours after that and woke up the next morning feeling OK. I wasn't ready to run any miles but It just felt like a normal period day.
Anyways that was my experience and I'm sorry if it was too graphic but with this topic their is no real way to sugar coat it. Just please make sure you finish ALL of your antibiotics or you could be at rick of infection.
Also I would like to take a moment to congratulate all of you young, beautiful,independent woman who had the courage to make this difficult decision. In my case, I am a full time student going for my BA - Full time Librarian Tech. at my school (work study) a single mom raising a 19 month son ALL on my own. I knew in my hearts of hearts that I could not survive another child. So I am very grateful that their were other options available. Smile keep you head held high, and most of all do what is right for "YOU" and only you. It's your body. And your decision Smile
|
Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...