Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

irregular periods for as long as i can remember.

User Profile
hello i am 24 soon to be 25 in july. i have had irregular periods for as long as i can remember, but have recently been losng weight trying to get healthy, i had a period or what i think was a period last month and again this month but the thing is im not bleeding like red im not so much even bleeding it only comes off when i wipe after urinating and maybe some on a pad. while in the show i have had a few clots come out that r dark darkbrown to black. i have taken a test and im not pregnant. i have been married for five yrs and not using protection during sex and still have yet to come up pregnant im very worried im not able to have children along with the fact i do not have a period except like maybe every 2 yrs. i have no health insurance so im trying to find out what i can here and not spend alot of money at the doctor pls help im beginning to freak out thanks for all your help!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2011
Menstruation Answer A22949
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Irregular periods are indicative of anovulatory cycles (menstrual cycles without periodic egg release from ovary) and could be a major cause for infertility. You should consider visiting a gynecologist/obstetrician soon to look for the cause for your irregular periods. Focus on losing weight. Maintain good diet. Rule out any hormonal derangements, thyroid hormone dysfunction, ovarian problems like PCOS or cysts, etc. Treatment as needed (based on examination and investigation results) would be started to help you get pregnant. Be in regular follow-up with your treating gynecologist/obstetrician.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.