Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Irregular periods and burning during sex

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I am married and during sex i have a burning sensation and also when i urinate after sex for 1 day. I have started getting irrergular periods evry month. Sometimes 15 days once or 35 days once. I am worried whats going on. Can any one help me reagrding my problem as we are planning for a kid.

Thanks in advance

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2010
Sexual Health - Women Answer A10344
Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out.

The burning sensation which you’re having during the sexual intercourse or later while passing urine is likely due to cystitis.

This is an infection of urine resulting in the inflammation of the urinary bladder. This is quite common in females.

You need to ensure that you take good amounts of fluids. A short course antibiotic therapy should definitely help.

High levels of stress, increase in serum cholesterol levels, hormonal imbalance and dramatic changes in your life style are some of the common causes of irregular periods.

Other causes include medical conditions like PCOS and fibroid uterus. PCOS is diagnosed by blood tests like blood insulin levels, serum testosterone and androgen levels and ultrasound.

Fibroids are benign tumors of the uterus. They are diagnosed by ultrasound lower abdomen or CT abdomen.

Please consult a gynecologist and get yourself thoroughly examined to diagnose the cause of irregular periods and start with the treatment.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.

For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.